Best Appearance Mod's

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 06:22 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,464 Likes on 4,003 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

If you're going injected you should atleast make it look cool....think stack injection.....
Something like this for LS motors
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/hilborn_efi_systems/hilborn_intake_manifold_kits/
The following users liked this post:
Bikespace (03-21-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 07:33 PM
Tranz Zam
Burning Brakes

Received 732 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
If you're going injected you should atleast make it look cool....think stack injection.....
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...manifold_kits/
I already have a large, polished sheet metal intake with a billet Mark Williams 105mm throttle body. The heads are getting some cnc work done. I haven't decided on combustion chamber size, so I still haven't ordered the cam yet. Gotta check piston to valve clearance once everything is back. Once I get all that figured out, I can spec out a converter.

It should be a pretty stout little engine. Nothing too crazy as I plan on putting many miles on it. Should sound pretty cool through those side pipes.
Rescue Rogers (03-21-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 07:36 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Start a thread on your build...I want to follow it
Old 03-21-2023, 09:10 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,208 Likes on 2,381 Posts

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...manifold_kits/
Nah. Put in a Holley SkyRam. You don't need all those nitrous plates, but you can see the fuel rails and injectors in this photo. You'll want a different oil-pan for a C3 application, though.

https://www.holley.com/blog/post/mee...anifold_ever_/

Last edited by Bikespace; 03-21-2023 at 09:24 PM.
Rescue Rogers (03-21-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 10:54 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,139 Likes on 737 Posts

Gee I came here for the appearance mods and got all this?

Last edited by ignatz; 03-22-2023 at 12:44 PM.
Stroh (03-23-2023)
Old 03-22-2023, 01:03 PM
Tranz Zam
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ignatz
Gee I came here for the appearance mods and got all this?
You got people taking about modifications? Unless you're referring to the select few who like to come into threads discussing modifications, and tell everyone that there's no reason for modifications.
Old 03-22-2023, 01:15 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tranz Zam
You got people taking about modifications? Unless you're referring to the select few who like to come into threads discussing modifications, and tell everyone that there's no reason for modifications.
I like mods! Well, I like functional mods. But anything that gets rid of chrome on these cars is a good thing. Fortunately, GM already did most of that by the late 70s.

And I don't really care what the engine looks like, since you can't see it while you are driving. But you can certainly hear it (and sometimes smell it). So mods that enhance the entire experience of driving these cars are worth considering.

Updating Corvettes with parts from different years has been going on since 1954. It can be a fun challenge to see how many improvements you can fit on these cars while maintaining a stock-ish appearance. So keep the thread going, and perhaps we'll see some more.

Last edited by Bikespace; 03-22-2023 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-22-2023, 02:59 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

That doesn't seem to make sense. The original post said

"Hi All,

As I continue down the modification rabbit hole, I was curious what appearance and comfort mod's you've done that you've been happiest with. I am doing EFI, headers, etc...But for this thread I'd prefer to steer clear of performance mod's. I'm really curious what you guys liked the best in retrospect."

But I'll leave it up to you, it's not my thread, post whatever makes you happy.
Old 03-22-2023, 03:16 PM
Tranz Zam
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ignatz
That doesn't seem to make sense. The original post said

"Hi All,

As I continue down the modification rabbit hole, I was curious what appearance and comfort mod's you've done that you've been happiest with. I am doing EFI, headers, etc...But for this thread I'd prefer to steer clear of performance mod's. I'm really curious what you guys liked the best in retrospect."

But I'll leave it up to you, it's not my thread, post whatever makes you happy.
So someone asking what drivetrain I'm putting in a vette that has a fully custom body aside from the doors is not ok?

Gotcha
The following 2 users liked this post by Tranz Zam:
Bikespace (03-22-2023), Rescue Rogers (03-22-2023)
Old 03-22-2023, 05:36 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

To Stroh's original request, I'll add the mod's I made to my 69. Mainly, it's the little things, getting rid of little doodads stylists put in for change's sake. A 70 is still a pretty clean car and the factory flares look pretty good by themselves..

Already weighed in on the egg crate and cleaning up the side vents gets rid of them there. You seem to agree with that too. I'd change the front grill to make it as invisible as possible. Maybe some kind of black honeycomb material?

For appearance, you want a great paint job to make the car pop. Myself I stuck with my original Cortez Silver, but in retrospect there were earlier silvers that I'm regretting not looking into, Sebring Silver for one. But that's me. No question the Stinger hood and Blue and White stripes announces the car for what it is. I'd be OK with it but years ago my wife also announced where she stood on that subject. I'd like to add some pinstripes to my car but that seems to be a skill that has vanished around here.

The chrome mirrors had to go and like you I put a better hood on the car.

Wheels. I have never been a fan of anything that looks like a torque thrust, that just way too old school for me. Plus too much empty space looking into the guts of the wheel well. I tried a bigger Rallye wheel but that didn't look right and finally the 18" Fikse's did. And there are lots of tire choices. There need to be good disks and calipers in there too.

With the chrome mirrors gone, I found Sport Mirrors years ago, they may be getting hard to find. I wouldn't put C6 mirrors on either, they stick out way too much. Again it's the little things!

Had a friend who had the outside exhaust and that was fun driving his car for a while. And after a while it was naptime.

The 70 of course has SS trim where the outside exhaust would be. I stayed with a mostly body colored sill but put a color gradient in for a little something special.

Here's the overall look

At the rear, I wanted a cleaner look with really bright brake lights on all four lenses. Went with super bright LED's which light up nicely and I relocated the backup light to under the license plate. That combined with a flashing bright strobe there gets your attention in a parking lot. I also added a chrome license plate fram with the original selling dealer's name engraved. A little touch again. That's not in this picture. In California, this car would have come with the black and yellow plates, but the blue plates for the uninitiated look pretty retro too so I've stuck with them. Not sure why people put the black plates on new cars here, but they do.

I suppose there are things you can do with the exhaust tips on 70's on up, maybe splitters? Have no idea. I think they need something the way they stand.

For racing (autoX) had some Recaros for years. They were very comfortable and very secure. In accommodation to that seat choice, I went to a smaller diameter but still stock looking steering wheel, which really helped in the turns. I'm out of that now. Poking around on the internet I found a shop that had reupholstered the stock seats so I went with that option. It did cost some $$$$ but I think they look great. And. everything fits like it used to.

Support comes with a five-point harness attached to a Shark Bar. That bar is a real inconvenience. It supposedly stiffens the frame some, I'm sure it does, but I can't really tell.

There are lots of mod's people make to the console and instruments, some look good, some don't. I stuck with the original instruments, added a couple of new ones where the radio was and put in an iPod and rear speakers for better sound. But it is still not as good as I want so I'm always looking for what other people are doing.

Went from a stroked L46 to an LS376 but carb'd.. I wouldn't do the carb again, but it has been trouble free (fingers crossed I don't jinx myself). No picture of that or the suspension upgrades of which there are may.

Have fun with your choice and hope you got something useful out of your thread.

p.s. I actually rebuilt a 70 with my son, mostly as a 'dad' experience. It's long gone.

Last edited by ignatz; 03-22-2023 at 05:42 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by ignatz:
Driving69 (03-24-2023), interpon (03-23-2023), OldCarBum (03-23-2023), Stroh (03-23-2023), Vibguy (03-23-2023), wolfk (03-23-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-22-2023, 06:25 PM
jpatrick62
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Prostreeter1
Just my opinion the 68/69 convertible is the best looking body style of the C3 run. The body is so damn sexy it really needs nothing to enhance the appearance and BTW, don't flare the fenders! Subtle body mods such as side marker and side mirror delete, side pipes, 17/18 wheels, custom paint, rear astro vent delete too. Very few mods are needed to accentuate the coolness of a 68/69.
I'd have to agree, they really nailed the C3 convertibles..especially the 68/69 years.
Old 03-22-2023, 06:27 PM
jpatrick62
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 162 Posts

Refurbing my Turbine rims, adding redstripes to my Cooper tires to make them redlines, 69 style side exhaust, sharkbar chrome harness bar, and C5 seats for comfort...i love my Hotwheels wrap but not everyone does....but its mine.

I'll second the Hot Wheels wrap - looks cool!
Old 03-22-2023, 06:50 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Thanks...I forgot to add for comfort...I added the vents in the hood. WIth the L88 hood there isnt much room on the sides of the scoop. I would have loved to go with larger Camaro SS vents but they just dont fit. I did go with the C2 big block vents and they do let out some heat so that helps the interior. Im also thinking of cutting the first scoop at the bottom to let the radiator heat out as well. There were a few threads talking about it and its probably a good idea on a hot running big block

bigger would be better

The following 3 users liked this post by Rescue Rogers:
Bikespace (03-23-2023), Tranz Zam (03-22-2023), Vibguy (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 07:36 AM
Stroh
Drifting

Received 270 Likes on 153 Posts

Wow... Ignatz, that car is amazing. I love me some Cortez Silver. Absolute stunner. And to Rescue Rogers on the opposite coast, that Hot Wheels wrap is super cool. My 6 year old loved the pictures of it, then promptly went and played for hours with his 800 plus hot wheels that are like landmines all over my house. I'm a fan.

As for appearance mods, some really love those sport mirrors and the chrome delete of the later c3's but for me... I know "Chrome don't get you home" ut man, I love that look. My 70 came with both mirrors (an option in 70) and I like those little shiny things, so I left 'em. As for the gills versus egg crates debate, I'd probably agree that the gills look better, but those egg crates are sharp too and they allow access to the sides of your engine bay. That was great when putting in several parts, especially my overflow tank. I will say that the are a PITA to sand and spray. Man, there's a time killer.

Thanks for all the mods examples. Great food for thought. I'm still tweaking things, and probably will be forever. (As usual, some really cool ideas on here.)

Spring is almost here, so I guess I better get back to getting her road worthy.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stroh:
Bikespace (03-23-2023), ignatz (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 08:57 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

One more comment on functional mods.

I'd be really curious to see how the Stinger hood works. It looks great, but unless there is something to catch the air and force it into the air cleaner (only), I'd suspect it does the opposite of what you'd expect. But I've never seen the back side of one, so I don't know.

@Denpo posted his car, which has a functional hood vent. It works the same as the C7 hood vent, allowing more air to pass through the radiator, and it looks better than the one in Jimmie Johnson's 71 C3. Here's a long discussion thread on hood vent aerodynamics, and a cool video showing wind tunnel testing of a C7, with and without the hood louvers.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-venting.html

Old 03-23-2023, 09:56 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 529 Likes on 357 Posts

Externally, Hooker sidepipes, 80-82 rear bumper and the L-82/AC extension on the front spoiler here. Also removed the luggage rack that was on it. Internally, 1980 seats, modified shifter of the T-56 and smaller diameter steering wheel.

That's it for my '75. I think GM did a pretty good job on these cars from the factory. They still look modern today. People are amazed when I tell them the car is almost 50 years old (I've owned it over 30).

The following 7 users liked this post by SteveG75:
Alwyn678 (03-25-2023), Bikespace (03-23-2023), interpon (03-23-2023), John 65 (03-24-2023), Prostreeter1 (03-23-2023), Tranz Zam (03-23-2023), Vibguy (03-23-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-23-2023, 01:38 PM
Tranz Zam
Burning Brakes

Start a thread on your build...I want to follow it
I have a build thread going, but haven't updated it in a while. Unfortunately it got shoved in the corner to finish other projects up first. The way she goes.

That said, just spoke with the machine shop. Looks like we're decking the 243 heads. 020 to get the combustion chambers from 64cc to 61cc. Haven't decided on if I want to commit to the bigger valves yet, as the cost and potential fly cutting of the pistons might outweigh just buying a nice set of aftermarket heads.

Hopefully this information doesn't@ignatz

Get notified of new replies

To Best Appearance Mod's

Old 03-23-2023, 01:53 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Hopefully this information doesn't@ignatz
My grandfather liked to call me "Ignatz" because of the Krazy Kat cartoons in the paper at the time. Can't think why that would be?

The following 2 users liked this post by ignatz:
Driving69 (03-24-2023), Rescue Rogers (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 02:03 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,898 Likes on 2,566 Posts

I am not one much to modify most of what GM intended on the chrome bumper models.......
But, I do like two things that I think enhance the design......
An L-88 hood (short)......just have to have it for many reasons......most functional piece of fiberglass you can put on a Vette IMHO....
And the 4 All Red taillight treatment backup light delete......which I plan on doing someday.
I like the rear deck vents chromed on some colors......like Blue.....or Black.....but not Red......
Otherwise there is nothing I would do to modify the design......I think maybe I would like a spare one piece see through tinted targa top to use for those cool sunny days.......

Now the rubber baby buggy bumper cars all need the 74' no-bumperette front and rear bumpers......
And I like the Pace Car front spoiler on these but not really the rear one.......
All of the disco era Vette's need Hooker sidepipes too.....

Jebby
Old 03-23-2023, 02:10 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,841 Likes on 2,991 Posts

I’m going with a tall L88 hood and one of these hood vents.
I’ll be painting mine to match the car color so it will blend in.

The following 2 users liked this post by OldCarBum:
Rescue Rogers (03-23-2023), Tranz Zam (03-23-2023)

Quick Reply: Best Appearance Mod's