Help for parts!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 08:53 AM
CorvetteSpain666
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help for parts!!!

Hello everyone! I hope you are well!

I tell you that I live in Spain, I have a 1975 corvette and I am appealing to your experience regarding where to buy new parts for my vette.

I was googling a lot and it is incredible the big difference in prices between the different sellers.

Do you have websites to recommend me? I have never bought in the USA and I don't want to make mistakes.
The issue of shipping would be within the USA because I have a friend who receives it at his house but I am bothered by the price spread on the same pieces.

Thank you very much to all!!!!
The following users liked this post:
Artarmy (05-03-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 10:07 AM
robertea
Racer

Received 239 Likes on 124 Posts

Welcome to the Forum. I normally buy most of my parts from Zip Corvette and sometimes from Corvette Central. I have had good luck with both of them.
One of the problems with buying Corvette parts now is that a lot of the assemblies tend to be made in China. Some of the China parts have good quality, but some are marginal.
I try to rebuild my assemblies instead of just replacing them, that way I know that the basic assembly is correct and hope that the replacement parts, gaskets, bearing, etc. are good quality.
I always feel better when I have repaired something, plus if it fails I know who to blame.
I was in Spain many years ago when I was young and in the Army. I rode my motorcycle (a 1969 BSA Rocket 3) from Germany with three other motorcycles and really enjoyed my trip.
I found the Spanish people friendly even if we did not speak the same language, but we found ways to communicate. Got stopped by the "la Guardia" several times but never received a ticket.
They rode motorcycles and we always ended talking about each other's bikes. I am sure Spain has changed a lot since my trip there.
The following 2 users liked this post by robertea:
Artarmy (05-03-2024), CorvetteSpain666 (05-03-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 11:24 AM
69L88
Melting Slicks

Received 1,232 Likes on 770 Posts

Unfortunately, in today’s world, you need to do your homework before clicking the “buy” button. Caveat Emptor - “buyer beware” needs to be heeded at all times. @robertea ’s advice and recommendations are spot-on. I will add that I’ve bought from Bair’s Corvette many times as they are a small business and I have been happy with my purchases from them.

I would also add that while these are Corvettes, they are also Chevrolets and a lot of the parts are the same and available from non-Corvette specific suppliers. Further, many of the parts that the major suppliers sell will sell directly. For example, Corvette Rubber Company, DeWitts radiators. A lot will depend on what you are looking for and how concerned you are with originality.
The following 2 users liked this post by 69L88:
Artarmy (05-03-2024), CorvetteSpain666 (05-03-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 01:33 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 906 Likes on 789 Posts

CorvetteSpain666
Look at the Vendor list here on the forum.

If you are buying a big ticket item then just ask here. Lotsa folks buying lotsa stuff here all the time.
CorvetteSpain666 (05-03-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 01:56 PM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Befor ordering from any company, vendor here or not, go to the transaction forum, at least, and do a search.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-feedback-153/
Old 05-03-2024, 03:27 AM
CorvetteSpain666
Cruising

Originally Posted by robertea
Welcome to the Forum. I normally buy most of my parts from Zip Corvette and sometimes from Corvette Central. I have had good luck with both of them.
One of the problems with buying Corvette parts now is that a lot of the assemblies tend to be made in China. Some of the China parts have good quality, but some are marginal.
I try to rebuild my assemblies instead of just replacing them, that way I know that the basic assembly is correct and hope that the replacement parts, gaskets, bearing, etc. are good quality.
I always feel better when I have repaired something, plus if it fails I know who to blame.
I was in Spain many years ago when I was young and in the Army. I rode my motorcycle (a 1969 BSA Rocket 3) from Germany with three other motorcycles and really enjoyed my trip.
I found the Spanish people friendly even if we did not speak the same language, but we found ways to communicate. Got stopped by the "la Guardia" several times but never received a ticket.
They rode motorcycles and we always ended talking about each other's bikes. I am sure Spain has changed a lot since my trip there.
Thank you very much for your answer!. I take note of the two spare parts suppliers that you sent me, I'll check it out right now!
I am originally from Argentina and I have lived in Spain for 3 years, here American cars are "rare" except for the groups of classic and American cars that there are, few, but there are.
The Spaniard is extremely friendly and a big fan of barbecue and beer hahaha.
Thank you very much for your time, a big hug, Eduardo

Originally Posted by 69L88
Unfortunately, in today’s world, you need to do your homework before clicking the “buy” button. Caveat Emptor - “buyer beware” needs to be heeded at all times. @robertea ’s advice and recommendations are spot-on. I will add that I’ve bought from Bair’s Corvette many times as they are a small business and I have been happy with my purchases from them.

I would also add that while these are Corvettes, they are also Chevrolets and a lot of the parts are the same and available from non-Corvette specific suppliers. Further, many of the parts that the major suppliers sell will sell directly. For example, Corvette Rubber Company, DeWitts radiators. A lot will depend on what you are looking for and how concerned you are with originality.
Thank you very much for your answer!. I take note of the spare parts suppliers that you sent me, I'll check right now!
Regarding the classic suppliers like "Jegs, Summit, Classic Industries, etc" I know them from when I lived in Argentina, I bought many times and I never had problems, nowadays there are not "as many spare parts" as on the websites that are specific like the ones that they named me.
Originally Posted by carriljc
CorvetteSpain666
Look at the Vendor list here on the forum.
If you are buying a big ticket item then just ask here. Lotsa folks buying lotsa stuff here all the time.
Originally Posted by BKarol
Befor ordering from any company, vendor here or not, go to the transaction forum, at least, and do a search.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-feedback-153/
Old 05-03-2024, 08:13 AM
69L88
Melting Slicks

Received 1,232 Likes on 770 Posts

I have to ask - FCB or RM?
Old 05-03-2024, 11:48 AM
CorvetteSpain666
Cruising

Originally Posted by 69L88
I have to ask - FCB or RM?
From the 3-time world club champion. The glorious Club Atletico Boca Juniors

69L88 (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 12:13 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

I used to buy a lot of parts from Paragon. They've recently gone out of business and merged with Corvette Central. One of the attractions of Paragon is that they have very detailed illustrations in their part catalog......I've read that Corvette Central is going to pick up maintaining their catalog. Zip also is a good source. Corvette America is a favorite for interior parts. These are all Corvette Forum sponsors.

These cars are approaching 50 years old. Wonder how long replacement parts will be so readily available. I think I've noticed parts starting to be occasionally not available. So far not really a problem.

Also, my half joking comment about repro parts:
If it fits, it won't be good quality
If it's good quality, it won't fit.

Actually, I have found some repro parts that not only did fit, but were of better quality that the original factory equipment. Particularly true when an originally steel part is repro'd in stainless steel. Anyhow all of the issues with buying parts for these cars is just part of the fun of restoring them.

Last edited by 68/70Vette; 05-03-2024 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-03-2024, 03:39 PM
paragoncorvette
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

We have just finished printing the brand new C3 catalog, have integrated many of the detailed illustrations that Paragon had used in their catalog. If you are on the mail list, you will get a new catalog in the next couple of weeks. If you have not received a catalog in the past, please make sure to orders your https://www.corvettecentral.com/catalogs

Thank you
Tony G
Corvette Central

carriljc (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 10:12 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 906 Likes on 789 Posts

paragoncorvette
That's good to hear. I get them both but I was saving my old Paragon Catalog.....

Originally Posted by paragoncorvette
We have just finished printing the brand new C3 catalog, have integrated many of the detailed illustrations that Paragon had used in their catalog. If you are on the mail list, you will get a new catalog in the next couple of weeks. If you have not received a catalog in the past, please make sure to orders your https://www.corvettecentral.com/catalogs

Thank you
Tony G
Corvette Central

Get notified of new replies

To Help for parts!!!

Quick Reply: Help for parts!!!