Newbee and insane

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 05:16 PM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ignoramous1
Welcome to the forum.

So, who is going to pay for the insurance? A '72 modified vette for a 16YO daily driver?

You said " cold weather" does that mean ice, snow, and salty roads?

I am excited for you and your daughter, but safety should be your first consideration. Vettes can be dangerous for inexperienced drivers.
Maybe a Chev. Caprice until she is 18, then give her the vette. That way you get to drive it for two years.
Keep in mind he is in Newcastle, OK. We get snow and ice here 2 times per year... I can drive my 'vette here in my part of Oklahoma 363 days per year. As far as the insurance, the liabilty part is going to be inexpensive. The liability coverage for me (unmarried, age 27) is $100 every 6 months. As far as safety... if the daughter has any sense at all the only other variable is the other drivers on the road. I would imagine if daughter puts her effort into the "challenge" she is going to be so careful with the car that the gas pedal probably wouldn't find the floor for a long long time.

Last edited by Stoge; 02-16-2005 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:50 PM
Smooth72
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoge
Keep in mind he is in Newcastle, OK. We get snow and ice here 2 times per year... I can drive my 'vette here in my part of Oklahoma 363 days per year. As far as the insurance, the liabilty part is going to be inexpensive. The liability coverage for me (unmarried, age 27) is $100 every 6 months. As far as safety... if the daughter has any sense at all the only other variable is the other drivers on the road. I would imagine if daughter puts her effort into the "challenge" she is going to be so careful with the car that the gas pedal probably wouldn't find the floor for a long long time.
That is our hope, that she will be extra careful. Now in the garage she protects it like she is the force field. We have several vehicals that she might get insured on but since she will have to pay for the insurance it will be more motivation for her to be careful. Now for the pedal finding the floor that will be my payoff for the project. If i can get it by my wife to agree, or we don't tell her, :o I would like to do some autocross with it and my daughter being the copilot. As she gets more experince we will find safe places for her to experince the true experince of a corvette. We have a local drag strip that for I think $15 dollars you can make a pass... me first, her in a few years.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:54 PM
OneBrokenSmile07
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

. Now for the future plans, a crate motor, maybe Edelbrock, a 700 auto transmissions, rebuilt deferential, after market AC unit, stereo, alarm, billet wheels with wider tires and a custom interior.

I wish my dad would pay for a new crate motor instead of my lousy L-81
Old 02-16-2005, 05:55 PM
Smooth72
Drifting

Originally Posted by ICEMAN59
Welcome to the formum. The frame looks great, but you got a long way to go. I don't envy you, I restored my 80 and it was all there. It still was a long and expensive project. Do you have the doors and T-tops, I didn't see them in any of the pics. Anyway good luck with your project, enjoy the time together. Your a great dad. I have a 22 year old daughter and an 18 year old son. They grow up fast.
Do you like your Intro wheels? We have been looking at them and was able to talk to rep at Goodguys. I have Iforged on my car wich is a sister company to Intro and I have been very pleased. I like the Idea of them making them with the perfect offset to the car. It makes them look like they belong.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:27 PM
72blondvettebabe
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Smooth72
That is our hope, that she will be extra careful. Now in the garage she protects it like she is the force field. We have a local drag strip that for I think $15 dollars you can make a pass... me first, her in a few years.
Yes there is a force field around it and hopefully nothing will hit it or it get hit by something. And I have heard that it is like $10 or $15 and you can race all night. I think we might be able to afford that every once in a while.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:52 PM
Smooth72
Drifting

Default Magazine story

I recentley got a call from Andy Bolig from Corvette Enthusiasts, first of all a great guy and a true Corvette enthusiasts himself. He had recieved some pics of our project from Pattie at VBP, that I sent her and said he was wanting to do a story on the project when it is done. I had told him about the great service from VBP and all the information I had gathered from "Corvette Forum" and he told me those are the type of information he would like to include in our story and just to keep a log of our experince. I thought that this was pretty cool, now I juuust have to finish, that part of the fun.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:51 AM
timrb73coupe
Advanced

Default 73 and close

My daughter and I started our 73 over three years ago the time has been great.
we bought the shadow of our dream for too much money but in retrospect it was worth every penny.
I had never owned a vette and never even considered restoring one.
Armed only with visions an some parts catalogs we started
We wrestled with the beast from nearly equal footing and equal enthusiasm
At a time in our lives when we disagreed on nearly everything we were able to find common ground and work together on our mutual dream.
Now that she has gone away to college it is still something we have in common and continue to discuss our next steps.
For insurance reasons she does not drive the car without me but it is her car.
We both agree that this project will never end that is a good thing
I just found this forum this month and it has renewed our courage in this project
Wish us luck and thanks for the infusion of passion
pics to follow
Old 02-26-2005, 09:10 AM
cannonfl
Instructor

Default Great Story!

I found my 68 vert in a farmer's field under a tree 15 years ago ... Interior gutted, no engine and covered in tree sap.

I bought it for $3,000 in 1990, and it sat in my garage for 15 years untouched. My son was 1 year old, so I decided to wait until he could enjoy the rebuild as much as I.

Well, we started our body off rebuild last month.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:31 AM
tzeller
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Welcome to the C3 Forum!! Sounds like a very challenging project. An excellent way to bond with your daughter. You will find that this Forum is an excellent source of information and encougagement. I think that about everything you can do to a C3 has been attempted by someone. Best of Luck.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:26 PM
glen242
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well as long as we are in to warm & fuzzy family stories:

5 years ago took my 27 year old daughter out in my mainly stock '76. She drives a '94 Mitsu 3000 she bought new. Drives it well and fast. She was not real enthused, but did say the clutch was heavier and it did go down the entrance ramp fairly well.

2 years ago she got married. Husband is not a mechanical genius. She does any wiring and minor repairs in the house. Husband doesn't know a Crescent wrench from a pipe wrench. What to do with the 'vette after I am gone? At 62 hard years, don't realisticly have a lot of years left.

Answer - A good friend of mine, has a 3 year old son that I love dearly. The friend has a Trans-Am + 2 other daily drivers and does all of the work on the cars himself. I will leave the 'vette to him with the stipulation that his son is to get the car when he is 16 or at an age that the friend sees fit. To take care of any taxes, I have already signed over the title to my friend at a $0 value, because of, in PA, 'love and affection' clause. Will states that he is to get all of my automotive tools and 'vette parts including the stock engine. My friend, and hopefully his son, will take care of the car long after I am gone. I am convinced that my daughter would sell it in a heartbeat if it was left to her.

So why am I building a stroker??? Must be nuts!
Old 02-26-2005, 08:09 PM
Ex_F-Body_Enthusiast
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by James1970
Maybe I'm just projecting my own crazy behaviour when I was 16. I had a 69' Mach I and raised holy-hell. I'm amazed I didn't kill anyone during my week-end escapades. These C3's don't give much protection even w/a roll bar. I'm just concerned. It's apparent to me that your a great father and I'm sure your daughter is more mature than I was at her age. Therefore, disregard my previous comments and enjoy your C3 project!

Best,

James1970
I wouldn't worry about the daugther not appreciating the car and treating it with respect (I have 2 daughters and 2 vettes myself); I would be more concerned about the BOYFRIENDS getting behind the wheel!
Old 03-02-2005, 01:13 PM
Smooth72
Drifting

Originally Posted by cannonfl
I found my 68 vert in a farmer's field under a tree 15 years ago ... Interior gutted, no engine and covered in tree sap.

I bought it for $3,000 in 1990, and it sat in my garage for 15 years untouched. My son was 1 year old, so I decided to wait until he could enjoy the rebuild as much as I.

Well, we started our body off rebuild last month.

I am glad to find out that I am not the only one attempting this. They grow up so fast. Enjoy them as you can and use the project as an excuse to get as many tools as possible. (I hope my wife don’t see this.)
Old 03-02-2005, 04:02 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Welcome
My 5 year old son loves being out in the garage and helping me. I love having him enjoy the experiance. I have a little hotrodder on my hands. He tells everyone that comes over if they want to go look at HIS Corvette!
Old 03-31-2005, 01:55 PM
72blondvettebabe
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Ex_F-Body_Enthusiast
I wouldn't worry about the daugther not appreciating the car and treating it with respect (I have 2 daughters and 2 vettes myself); I would be more concerned about the BOYFRIENDS getting behind the wheel!
Oh trust me none of my boyfriends are going to get behind the wheel of my car. Plus my parnets have said that if any of them do I get the car parked. Which I do not want to happen.

Quick Reply: Newbee and insane