welcome here!!
that 3rd brake light was a cool idea,nicley done
Old 02-11-2005, 03:42 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Dig the 3rd brake light, what is it from?
Old 02-11-2005, 04:07 PM
James1970
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NOT a Good First Ride!

Originally Posted by ignoramous1
Welcome to the forum.

So, who is going to pay for the insurance? A '72 modified vette for a 16YO daily driver?

You said " cold weather" does that mean ice, snow, and salty roads?

I am excited for you and your daughter, but safety should be your first consideration. Vettes can be dangerous for inexperienced drivers.
Maybe a Chev. Caprice until she is 18, then give her the vette. That way you get to drive it for two years.
I'm with you. No way a teenager should be driving a Vette as their first ride. They need more metal around them & some airbags for safety. Although your daughter may be a wonderful kid and great student, she WILL do stupid things behind the wheel while she comes down the learning curve.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:35 PM
LIQUIDDRAGON
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i will have to disagree with those who think she shouldnt get to drive the car. i think if she helps build it and her dad thinks she deserves it she should get the car. just because she is gonna be 16 doesnt mean she cant be responseable enough to drive a corvette. age doesnt matter maturity is what counts. lets see paris hilton and nicole richie are gonna be 24 this year and are examples of people that should never be behind the wheel of a car or any vehicle for that matter. just my $0.02

oh yea BTW welcome to the forum and good luck with your project
Old 02-11-2005, 06:33 PM
Smooth72
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
Dig the 3rd brake light, what is it from?
It is from a street rod supply place called Parr located in OKC. The brand name of the light is Ron Francis Wiring.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:44 PM
Smooth72
Drifting

Originally Posted by James1970
I'm with you. No way a teenager should be driving a Vette as their first ride. They need more metal around them & some airbags for safety. Although your daughter may be a wonderful kid and great student, she WILL do stupid things behind the wheel while she comes down the learning curve.

We have several vehicals and she will be insured under one of those. Her mother and I figuer/hope if she has to work on it and pay for half of it she will realize the value and be more cautious than if we just got a newer vehical. Our plans also include putting a rollbar in it, she knows the first speeding ticket is a learning lesson, the second one it gets parked. We are putting sidepipes with JCL baffles on it, which we told her if she accelerates hard it will tell every police officer in our small town to please right her a ticket. We figure the $ invested will never lose its value verse buying a fairly new pickup.

Last edited by Smooth72; 02-11-2005 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:55 PM
James1970
Racer

Originally Posted by Smooth72
We have serval vehicals and she will be insured under one of those. Her mother and I figuer/hope if she has to work on it and pay for half of it she will realize the value and be more cautious than if we just got a newer vehical. Our plans also include putting a rollbar in it, she knows the first speeding ticket is a learning lesson, the second one it gets parked. We are putting sidepipes with JCL baffles on it, which we told her if she accelerates hard it will tell every police officer in our small town to please right her a ticket. We figure the $ invested will never lose its value verse buying a fairly new pickup.
Maybe I'm just projecting my own crazy behaviour when I was 16. I had a 69' Mach I and raised holy-hell. I'm amazed I didn't kill anyone during my week-end escapades. These C3's don't give much protection even w/a roll bar. I'm just concerned. It's apparent to me that your a great father and I'm sure your daughter is more mature than I was at her age. Therefore, disregard my previous comments and enjoy your C3 project!

Best,

James1970
Old 02-11-2005, 07:01 PM
Smooth72
Drifting

Default More Photos

Master Grinder

We should call it the VBP special because we pretty well bought one of everything from the catalog, boy that was fun. Also the name "Smooth72" comes from the color we are going to paint it. PPG Smooth yellow.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:09 PM
Smooth72
Drifting

Originally Posted by James1970
Maybe I'm just projecting my own crazy behaviour when I was 16. I had a 69' Mach I and raised holy-hell. I'm amazed I didn't kill anyone during my week-end escapades. These C3's don't give much protection even w/a roll bar. I'm just concerned. It's apparent to me that your a great father and I'm sure your daughter is more mature than I was at her age. Therefore, disregard my previous comments and enjoy your C3 project!

Best,

James1970
I had a 71 1/2 camaro small block 400 4 speed, Holley, many clutches etc. and also I'm vary thankful for surviving it. I think in some ways she is alreay more mature than I am now, her mother influence. Parking lot autocraus is big here and if she and want to play we will do it there.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:28 PM
James1970
Racer

Now THAT's a garage! Makes mine look like a storage locker.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:25 PM
ICEMAN59
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the formum. The frame looks great, but you got a long way to go. I don't envy you, I restored my 80 and it was all there. It still was a long and expensive project. Do you have the doors and T-tops, I didn't see them in any of the pics. Anyway good luck with your project, enjoy the time together. Your a great dad. I have a 22 year old daughter and an 18 year old son. They grow up fast.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:52 AM
djcwardog
Burning Brakes

Great project! Looks like you have other projects going in that garage as well. Are you in the auto repair trade? I wish I had that kind of room to work! I also like your third brake light mod. If there is any way to sell off your modified hood and front clip and go stock that would be really nice. I'll bet you could do well on ebay with the stuf...
Old 02-14-2005, 05:20 AM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Great Going you two we are all rooting for you.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:11 PM
Smooth72
Drifting

Originally Posted by ICEMAN59
Welcome to the formum. The frame looks great, but you got a long way to go. I don't envy you, I restored my 80 and it was all there. It still was a long and expensive project. Do you have the doors and T-tops, I didn't see them in any of the pics. Anyway good luck with your project, enjoy the time together. Your a great dad. I have a 22 year old daughter and an 18 year old son. They grow up fast.
I have the T-tops in the cabinets and the doors are in a large pile that I call "wonder where that goes"
Old 02-14-2005, 01:24 PM
Smooth72
Drifting

Originally Posted by djcwardog
Great project! Looks like you have other projects going in that garage as well. Are you in the auto repair trade? I wish I had that kind of room to work! I also like your third brake light mod. If there is any way to sell off your modified hood and front clip and go stock that would be really nice. I'll bet you could do well on ebay with the stuf...
I have to busy working on some project, the 55 chevy pickup was my project before my priority got change. I feel very fortunate to have my garage, the house is my wife's The garage is 1390 sq. ft.
with my tv, fridge ( to keep the beer cold) and heater, good thing that I'm married to a CPA and supports my multiple addictions. I'm not in auto repair business unless you count working on my wife or daughter cars, the pay is bad but the rewards are great :yesnod
Old 02-14-2005, 01:38 PM
StingrayDK
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Great stuff!

Welcome onboard

Get notified of new replies

To Newbee and insane

Old 02-14-2005, 02:55 PM
JungleCat
Safety Car

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Neat project. Welcome aboard.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:53 PM
Smooth72
Drifting

Default Front VBP spring kit

Low angle. I hope to get it off the frame rack soon.

I know off subject, but I had to show one of my projects that I have completed... as far as any project is realy completed.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:35 PM
codestar7
Burning Brakes

Default Smooth 72

Named after that Great song "Smooth" by Carlos Santana...oh and the colour your painting it too.
Welcome to the Camp, I guess we all know why were here,
The name is Corvette and it bacame "self" aware this year.
If you wont to follow it, you've got to paint the pan,
Cause you aint gonna follow it, Any other way!
All though you think you can!
Use the tune of "Tommy" the Who.
Welcome to the mad house, we are counting members younger every day!
lets see I just threw pan in there cause it rhymed...I ment frame.

Quick Reply: Newbee and insane