C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Barrett-Jackson: Merlin update

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 07:45 AM
Merlin522
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pauld
Steve,

The merlin project was before my time here, but since being on the forum I have read alot about merlin and have seen many of the pics. I have to say that your latest post is very well written and I cannot disagree with anything you have said and all your comments make sense. I personally think the car is great and have always enjoyed looking at the pics with some envy.
It is nice to hear from the creator of Merlin and to hear your comments and thoughts first hand. I would also hope that there will be no further bashing. Good luck with your business and lets hope you will get time to visit the forum more often.
Thanks Paul! It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance & I really appreciate the kind words. That's a beautiful '81 you've got there!!
Old 01-28-2005, 07:46 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by patsnitrovette
Well said steve,its a real shame that so many people can hide behind a computer and put the car and you down.Good luck!!I hope ,merlin sells for 100 +.Its also a shame to see people say all you did was just sit back and let your money do the work,excuse me how many people on here take there cars to mechanics and such to be worked on?Im one that does all my own work but im the first to say merlin was a great car.
Never forget how to dance with life!!!
Old 01-28-2005, 07:47 AM
Pauld
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Steve, that is praise indeed considering your car
Old 01-28-2005, 07:52 AM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-17-'18-'19'-20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by stingraymaniac

thats one of the baddest cars ever built
Old 01-28-2005, 07:55 AM
Fevre
Race Director

As with any new or experimental project somethings work and somethings don't but the spirit of innovation is what it should be judge on. I think Merlin was a success in that it captured most of our imaginations even if it did not work out 100%. How many of those car show cars actually run and perform as billed? Again who cares, we love to look at them and imagine ourselves in the driver seat. It thank Steve for putting me in the driver seat of Merlin even if it was just in my imagination.

Last edited by Fevre; 01-28-2005 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:00 AM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Still one of my background pics in rotation.

I loved the car. We had a great many IM conversations.

I learned alot.

The only thing that bothered me was the selection of transmission. I really didnt want to see anyone hurt if it let go at those power levels.

I hope everything is going well for you. Any plans on that 777ci twin turbo big block you were talking about way back?
Old 01-28-2005, 08:02 AM
Pauld
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Guru_4_hire
Any plans on that 777ci twin turbo big block you were talking about way back?

Now that would be interesting
Old 01-28-2005, 08:05 AM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Steve,

I’ve always applauded your dream for this car.

There’s another recent example of your kind of thinking. Someone built a show ’57 Chevy with eight turbochargers. He was raked over the coals a bit for its radical, impractical, and verbose approach to his induction system. Yeah, a single or twin turbo set up would have been better from the technical standpoint but it misses the point.

If the world had no room for dreamers and everything had to be completely practical, then we’d all be driving tiny economy cars. What a boring place that would be.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:10 AM
djcwardog
Burning Brakes

Default I enjoyed the posts - and the car!

Steve,

Good on 'ya for even thinking of such a concept for the BB Chevy in a C3, and even more for actually doing it. I hope you get another BB C3 and just enjoy it for awhile. Maybe your obvious intellect will derive yet another great idea for our benefit. I'd like to see you in a '70 drop top with a 572 and some well thought-out mods to harness and reliably use all that power. You could likely fuel a part of the aftermarket industry in developing parts able to handle all that power.

Aren't you also a fan of the BMW 850 cars? I like them too - affordable these days as a daily driver!

Keep truckin' and enjoy that Seattle area weather!
Old 01-28-2005, 08:11 AM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gerry72
Steve,

If the world had no room for dreamers and everything had to be completely practical, then we’d all be driving tiny economy cars. What a boring place that would be.

Amen!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2005, 08:28 AM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Although I'd missed alot of it, this project was still ongoing when I joined the forum about 2 1/2 years ago. I had just got my first corvette (2nd car) and was just trying to get and keep it on the road at the time. Now I'm slowly working on turning it into a custom road racing street machine. I can't say I want it to be much like Merlin, but your project was definitely an influence.

It was a great trip, hope you enjoyed it

-Chris
Old 01-28-2005, 08:42 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

I loved the progress work at your website...I use to surf it everyday just to read and look at the pics..it was a work of art.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:47 AM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I personally did not like the way Merlin turned out, but I'm all for people modifying Vettes to the extreme. I don't think it will fetch an extreme amount at BJ though.

I've already invested $14K into my '72 and it's not even CLOSE to being finished. Undoubtebly I'll spend more then $30,000 on it (which at age 25 is like a a million bucks), so I definitely see how easy it is to get carried away. Hey, you only BUILD your dream car once.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:49 AM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Steve:

Thanks for giving us newer members some info. The car is one of a kind; some like it, some hate it, and some love it. I downloaded the video of the car in the driveway. Cool to say the least. I am glad to hear that you 'hit the high note'. I worked 80 hours a week so I have an idea as to why you didn't have time to work on the car yourself. The car is yours no matter who owns it. By that I mean my daughter is mine no matter who she marries. I have no idea if the car is capable of being driven on the street. No matter how it's sliced it is not a dailey driver. Now that you learned from this project it would be nice to see a 'Merlin II' project.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:13 AM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I still love that ride. The project was ongoing when I joined also, and it inspired me to buy a car and customize as I wanted. The videos of it starting was so inspiring. I have the videos and the main video of STEVE DRIVING IT DOWN THE ROAD ! HOLY CRAP when he blipped the throttle at 30 mph!!! Bet that brings back a spark eh Steve?

I don't ever expect to have my car 'done', it is a hobby and project that will always be evolving.

The Merlin Project helped inspire and motivate me to purchase a dream and go for it. Nothing is better than tinkering and working on something in order for it to do what you expect or want.

I now am in the process of building a destroked forged 377ci with a intercooled P1SC procharger feeding my Demon. I can't wait till I start that motor and get behind the wheel.

Love it or Hate it, it was Steve's dream and design. Everyone has an opinion and is entitled to it.

Thanks for bringing your dream to reality Steve.

-J

Last edited by ylose; 01-28-2005 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:16 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 807 Posts

I wonder how much it would cost to get it back to stock?

-JK!

Merlin was close to what I had in my mind to build back when I was a kid back in the late 70's. My dream was a black 73-74 Vert with 69 side gills and a 6-71 Blower. It had a chromed out motor with chrome Hooker sidepipes and a 4 speed. I guess my dream was a lot less "out there" when compared to Merlin but still just as spectacular in my mind.

Merlin will need some fine tuning to finish the car but it will always be a spectacular project.

-Mark.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:45 AM
79ls1
Racer

Originally Posted by Merlin522

I spent so many years in school being dirt poor & drooling in the Eckler’s catalog while choking down my 3 for $1 Kraft macaroni & cheese. When I finally hit it big, I went completely wild with the project. No holds barred. Haven’t you all ever really cut loose in your life? When did dreaming become such a bad thing? Better yet, when did LIVING your dreams become such a bad thing? I’m amazed at how complacent our world has become. I’m even more astounded at how we Americans have become so resistant to living those dreams that this country was founded on. Survivor is NOT REALITY. The Apprentice is hosted by a guy who has gone bankrupt twice already – yet people see him as a business guru. Get your head out of the TV & go DO something! That’s all I was trying to prove. One human with a strong desire can make a good living & build the car of their dreams. This still is the greatest country on the planet & we used to be infamous for not taking crap & for having the guts to push the envelope. When did that become a bad thing? I say we need more ripping the **** off & going for broke. Sure, there will be failures. Some of the early attempts will really be failures. The higher your goals, the bigger the failures could be – but on the flip side, only by setting your goals high can you ever REALLY do something great. If at first you don’t succeed, try try again. That’s what the definition of intelligence is – learning from your mistakes. If you sit around & just accept the status quo all day, how are you ever going to be able to look back on your life & feel like you really DID something cool? It seems that making waves does carry with it the required backlash but you won’t be able to find me a single person who really created something great in life that didn’t get the crap beat out of them by the critics at some point.

New people who were just stopping in to say hi were getting assaulted. That’s like screaming at new customer who walk into your store – not a good recipe for success.
I hope that a few folks are taking notes. This is the difference between success and mediocrity or worse. Nice to hear from you, Steve, and thanks.

Bryan

Get notified of new replies

To Barrett-Jackson: Merlin update

Old 01-28-2005, 09:51 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I know exactly what you mean about drooling over the Ecklers catalog and not having any money, when I do ever get my Ph.D. and get paid, I'll probably do something nearly as drastic to my own car.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:55 AM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Old 01-28-2005, 10:09 AM
TheWacoKid
Team Owner

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by ylose
I still love that ride. The project was ongoing when I joined also, and it inspired me to buy a car and customize as I wanted. The videos of it starting was so inspiring. I have the videos and the main video of STEVE DRIVING IT DOWN THE ROAD ! HOLY CRAP when he blipped the throttle at 30 mph!!!
-J
Do you still have the vids? Any way of hosting them? I've been searching forever to find decent pics and the original videos.

And Steve - You car is still the absolute best Vette I've ever "seen." Somebody having the dream of making a complete and utter beast of a car beyond the scope of reason and making that dream real....just wow. I applaud you in your efforts. Don't mind the bashers, they simply don't understand. What matters is that YOU BUILT IT. No other can make such a claim.

Quick Reply: Barrett-Jackson: Merlin update