C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Int. Colors

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 06:50 PM
stingry
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by chris75stingray
i dyed my whole interior in SEM firethorn red. its holding up good on the seats. it hasn't peeled off or worn thruogh at all. the paint has gotten a little dull from moving around in the seat everyday. but when you go over it with armor all it shines up good.

The SEM stuff is good. They have the vinyl prep as well as the paint/dye.

It is best to clean and wash everything SEVERAL times before you go near it with paint. You need to get all that Armour All and silicon off that the previous owners soaked your vinyl with. LARS did a great article on this. It is at the www.corvettefaq.com web page.

Whilst you can paint door panels and seats they are two areas that
you will always have trouble with. Because you will rub on the paint it will eventually wear off and look crappy as opposed to the factory vinyl which is the same colour deeper into the vinyl. Dye/paint everything but buy new door panels and new seat covers. Replace the carpet also. It is cheap and probably not worth the effort to dye old carpet.

You will always have better results dyeing dark colours over dark colours. Black on blue etc will always look great. Red over Tan etc will look horrible if there are any wear patches in it.

The paint will last 3-4 years on vinyl in areas that rub. If you don't mind redoing it every few years then go ahead. Paint is cheaper then vinyl thats for sure.

Preparation is the key as the other guys have said. The painting takes about 5 minutes a coat. Only other advice I can give is to do light coats. It is better to do ten coats of really light spray then two heavy coats. It is hard to get runs of vinyl withoout restarting all over again. Ask me how I know.

Good Luck
Old 02-22-2005, 07:11 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a pic of SEM black over dark saddle. As others have suggested, I have new door panels, carpet & seat covers. I went the extra mile though and gutted the interior (before paint) and while the car was in the paint shop, I was restoring EVERYTHING in the interior. Dyed everything bare, restored bezels, trim etc...then re-assembled and waited for my baby to come home. I have dyed a drivers side lower dash while it's in the car...just mask EVERYTHING and it can turn out great! Oh yeah...I primed it first, then carefully scraped off the black dye to reveal the stitching.
Good Luck

Last edited by Silvr77; 02-22-2005 at 07:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Changing Int. Colors