C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Int. Colors

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 12:32 PM
coach79
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Int. Colors

I have researched many posts about dying, but I don't know how much trouble it would be and if it is worth it. I have a white int and would like to have the doe skin saddle color.

The carpet on the door panels would have to be changed or would I need to get new panels?

Is it too much trouble?

I'm holding off on the new carpet and int stuff until I can decide

Thanks Coach
Old 02-21-2005, 01:11 PM
coach79
Intermediate

any opinions?
Old 02-21-2005, 01:59 PM
Corvus
Burning Brakes

I hear it's pretty easy, and you'll get good results as long as you prep good Here's a TTT for ya
Old 02-21-2005, 02:27 PM
coach79
Intermediate

what about door panels with the carpet on them?
Old 02-21-2005, 02:35 PM
mooneyd
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed mine from dark blue to charcoal, came out great. I got new door panels because I tried to dye the carpet on the old ones and did not like the way it came out. All the carpet was replaced, but the plastic, vinyl, leather, & metal pieces came out great, was much easier than I thought it be.
See pictures in my gallery.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:37 PM
coach79
Intermediate

Yes I saw your this weekend. Thats what gave me the idea.

It looks sharp.. The charcoal looks great
Old 02-21-2005, 02:43 PM
82Vette'ster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How well does the dye (vinyl paint) hold up on seats. I was thinking of doing this, but was worried if it would wear off. Did you do the seats? and how has it held up?
Old 02-21-2005, 08:12 PM
coach79
Intermediate

ttt
Old 02-22-2005, 05:52 AM
Aussie One
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Corvus
I hear it's pretty easy, and you'll get good results as long as you prep good Here's a TTT for ya
Us Aussies don't do a lot of painting with plastic paint on car parts, I recently purchased a 79 vette with a light interior (camel I think) and I want to do an interior colour change. You stated as long as you "prep good". I've heard the prep is a long hard task which involves hard scrubbing to get any old silicone off the part. Could you please advise exactly what prep you did do prior to painting and any other hints you think might help. Thanks
Old 02-22-2005, 08:07 AM
mooneyd
Drifting

My seats are new, I had cloth before. As far as prep goes, it's not that hard. Just clean it well with any good cleaner, just make sure it's safe for vinyl and plastics. Then rinse well with alcohol. Keep your hands off the clean area. Spray on with very light coats. The stuff dries in 10 minutes so it goes quickly. Just follow directions on can. Really easy.
On metal parts (steering column) just sand lightly and clean with the alcohol and paint. It does not work real well on seat belts or carpet, it made them stiff and the color was not even. The seat belts still look a bit blue. I will have to get black belts one of these days. Hope this helps. Just take your time and it will come out great!
Old 02-22-2005, 08:16 AM
Corvus
Burning Brakes

Preping includes wiping everything down with some coats of paint thinner, ( alchohol works too ) and then applying degreasers to make sure there's absloutley NO oil on surfaces at all, and after all that apply paint in many but light coats.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:27 AM
mooneyd
Drifting

Originally Posted by Corvus
Preping includes wiping everything down with some coats of paint thinner, ( alchohol works too ) and then applying degreasers to make sure there's absloutley NO oil on surfaces at all, and after all that apply paint in many but light coats.
Be carefull with paint thinner, it can damage plastic and vinyl. The cleaner will remove the grease. Depends on how dirty it really is.
Test everything on the inside of a trim piece first, you can also test the spraying of the dye there also. Try different methods on small trim parts first untill you find what you like. Good luck.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:59 AM
Corvus
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mooneyd
Be carefull with paint thinner, it can damage plastic and vinyl. The cleaner will remove the grease. Depends on how dirty it really is.
Test everything on the inside of a trim piece first, you can also test the spraying of the dye there also. Try different methods on small trim parts first untill you find what you like. Good luck.

Always use 1/4 of what ever you initially wanted to use. Take your time.

This Job doesn't have to take long, but it should take ya atleast 8 hours for preping to get a factory looking finish. Spraying the paint is the easy part.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:09 AM
fjetb
Racer

I cleaned with soap and water, wiped down with rubbing or isoprople alcohol (drink the beer or vodka), then sprayed with the vinyl/plastic primer, and then three or four light coats of the dye. Turned out great, easy to do, and didn't take long.
I wouldn't use the dye for carpets or seat covers. Replace those with new in whatever color you want...carpet w/backing is $150 or so, vinyl seat covers are $130 (leather-like) or so...if you do the work yourself it is relatively(for these cars) cheap to have a whole new interior...and the work is fairly easy if you take your time and go step by step (and don't have to take the dash apart!)...and, that's assuming your dash and console pieces are not torn up...
Old 02-22-2005, 09:44 AM
mooneyd
Drifting

If you do the dash or other areas with out removing them, make sure you mask it off really good and cover everything including extior of car that you don't want dyed!
Old 02-22-2005, 10:14 AM
coach79
Intermediate

where do you get the dye?

mid america etc. or loews / home depot?
Old 02-22-2005, 10:27 AM
mvftw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm planning on dyeing my leather seats. With the same color. I want to patch a small hole and some scuff marks, then dyeing with Corvette America dye. Some say it's Not a good idea to dye your seats, but if it's the same color maybe it's not as bad as changing color...

Get notified of new replies

To Changing Int. Colors

Old 02-22-2005, 10:29 AM
mooneyd
Drifting

Corvette America makes it, I got it from Wilcox, cheaper, and it's the same stuff, comes in Corvette America cans. Get more than you need so it's all the same dye lot. That way you have some for touch up later if you need it and it will match.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:02 PM
1978shark
Racer

Originally Posted by fjetb
I cleaned with soap and water, wiped down with rubbing or isoprople alcohol

Exactly what I did when I test dyed the center section after market arm rest. Before I used the rubbing alcohol I let it dry real well. The alcohol dried quickly then I sprayed mine with a total of 4 coats, waiting about 15 minutes between them. It came out looking as good as new. Of course I covered silver with silver but the orginal was pretty ratty looking.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:34 PM
chris75stingray
Burning Brakes

i dyed my whole interior in SEM firethorn red. its holding up good on the seats. it hasn't peeled off or worn thruogh at all. the paint has gotten a little dull from moving around in the seat everyday. but when you go over it with armor all it shines up good.

Quick Reply: Changing Int. Colors