C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California Historic Vehicle plates???

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 06:49 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default California Historic Vehicle plates???

One of our forum members, Kalway, mentioned he can get historic vehicle plates in California...and not be subjected to smog tests on his '81 as a result.

So I'm naturally curious, given our many threads about Kalifornia smog tests and the new rules. How many of our Kalifornia members have these plates, and how much do they "really" limit your use of the car?

BTW: I have Texas antique plates, which have restrictions. Never had a problem yet. Had a deputy sheriff follow me once for a few miles (probably ran my plates thru the computer), but he moved on...
Old 03-02-2005, 07:01 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have looked at the DMV website and know you can get the plates, but I don't think you are exempt from smog. Please post if you find out differently!
Old 03-02-2005, 07:05 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

According to the person I talked to on the phone, at the DMV, there are no smog provisions. However your use is limited to shows, club events, parades, and exhibitions. I doubt there is much enforcement of it, though.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:11 PM
Corvus
Burning Brakes

Yea I'm gonna get them, because here in NJ you are required front license plates unless you get a historic one.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:29 PM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Kalway
According to the person I talked to on the phone, at the DMV, there are no smog provisions. However your use is limited to shows, club events, parades, and exhibitions. I doubt there is much enforcement of it, though.
And if you get pulled over by CHP while commuting to work, better bend over and be prepared to a) pay all back fees from the day you registered the car "historic" b) bring the vehicle up to smog standards and c) pay a fine.

Do you think you're the first person that thought of this "loophole"?

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
Old 03-02-2005, 07:35 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

That's why you don't commute to work in it every day. If they pull you over you tell them you're on the way to the shop or a club meeting. Only an idiot would drive a car to work every day with historic plates.

By the way I work graveyard and actually drive the speed limit, since I'm the only one on the road on my way home. So not much chance in getting pulled over when I drive it to work every blue moon.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:37 PM
codestar7
Burning Brakes

Default The Cooler

Originally Posted by 74FLCONV
And if you get pulled over by CHP while commuting to work, better bend over and be prepared to a) pay all back fees from the day you registered the car "historic" b) bring the vehicle up to smog standards and c) pay a fine.

Do you think you're the first person that thought of this "loophole"?

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
Damn........Dan...Lighten up, Let M sneak if they wanna!
Old 03-02-2005, 08:10 PM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for stickin' it to the man, especially the jack-booted thugs that rule the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia (and C.A.R.B.), but when someone comes on the forum providing inaccurate advice thats potentially harmful to other forum members, I gotta set the record straight.

You just can't do what Kalaway is attempting without serious repercussions. It will cost more to correct the mess you'd be in than to rebuild your engine to smog specs.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
Old 03-02-2005, 08:20 PM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

From CA DMV:

Vehicles of Historic Value

5004. (a) Notwithstanding any other provision of this code, any owner of a vehicle described in paragraph (1), (2), or (3) which is operated or moved over the highway primarily for the purpose of historical exhibition or other similar purpose shall, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department, be issued special identification plates for the vehicle:

(1) A motor vehicle with an engine of 16 or more cylinders manufactured prior to 1965.

(2) A motor vehicle manufactured in the year 1922 or prior thereto.

(3) A vehicle which was manufactured after 1922, is at least 25 years old, and is of historic interest.

(b) The special identification plates assigned to motor vehicles with an engine of 16 or more cylinders manufactured prior to 1965 and to any motor vehicle manufactured in the year 1922 and prior thereto shall run in a separate numerical series, commencing with "Horseless Carriage No. 1".

The special identification plates assigned to vehicles specified in paragraph (3) of subdivision (a) shall run in a separate numerical series, commencing with "Historical Vehicle No. 1".

Each series of plates shall have different and distinguishing colors.

(c) A fee of twenty-five dollars ($25) shall be charged for the initial issuance of the special identification plates. Such plates shall be permanent and shall not be required to be replaced. If such special identification plates become damaged or unserviceable in any manner, replacement for the plates may be obtained from the department upon proper application and upon payment of such fee as is provided for in Section 9265.

(d) All funds received by the department in payment for such identification plates or the replacement thereof shall be deposited in the California Environmental License Plate Fund.

(e) These vehicles shall not be exempt from the equipment provisions of Sections 26709, 27150, and 27600.

(f) As used in this section, a vehicle is of historic interest if it is collected, restored, maintained, and operated by a collector or hobbyist principally for purposes of exhibition and historic vehicle club activities.

And from the Pollution Control section:

g) For purposes of subdivision (a), any collector motor vehicle, as defined in Section 259, is exempt from those portions of the test required by subdivision (f) of Section 44012 of the Health and Safety Code, if the collector motor vehicle meets all of the following criteria:

(1) Submission of proof that the motor vehicle is insured as a collector motor vehicle, as shall be required by regulation of the bureau.

(2) The motor vehicle is at least 35 model-years old.

(3) The motor vehicle complies with the exhaust emissions standards for that motor vehicle’s class and model year as prescribed by the department, and the motor vehicle passes a functional inspection of the fuel cap and a visual inspection for liquid fuel leaks.

And Section 259 defined:

Collector Motor Vehicles

259. "Collector motor vehicle" means a motor vehicle owned by a collector, as defined in subdivision (a) of Section 5051, and the motor vehicle is used primarily in shows, parades, charitable functions, and historical exhibitions for display, maintenance, and preservation, and is not used primarily for transportation.

Last edited by 74FLCONV; 03-02-2005 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:53 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

Collector motor vehicle and vehicle of historic value are 2 different things.

Like I said I called the DMV up personally and they said that there is no bi-annual smogging of vehicles of historic value. You can call the DMV's toll free number yourself and ask them, if you'd like.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:00 PM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Whatever, dude.

Let us know how it goes.

Post a pic of your car with the historic plates affixed and I'll post my own "own3d" pic.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
Old 03-02-2005, 09:11 PM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Like I said I called the DMV up personally and they said that there is no bi-annual smogging of vehicles of historic value. You can call the DMV's toll free number yourself and ask them, if you'd like.
Not sure about your local DMV... I am in Orlando and every time I call them I have a different person on the phone and get a different answer .... sometimes I think I'd be better off calling WalMart instead

Only believe what you have in writing...
Old 03-02-2005, 09:23 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whoa! I didn't mean to create a

I was merely looking for experiences from folks who actually have these plates...and what others in Kalifornia could expect!

So

Old 03-02-2005, 11:10 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

I would love this to be true, but I think you may have been given some bad info. check the site below. I believe the vehicle must be 35 years old to qualify, which would make it exempt right now under law anyway.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc4000_1.htm

Probably the only way to find out for sure is to go to DMV and try to make the change. I am going to do a little more digging though- like I said, I would love for this to be true, but then again, I think there would be lots of these plates around if it were. Good luck
Old 03-02-2005, 11:35 PM
Sandiego70
Racer

1976 and newer require smog in california per a new law passed this last year, at least that is my understanding
Old 03-04-2005, 06:05 PM
CoolShark
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Sandiego70
1976 and newer require smog in california per a new law passed this last year, at least that is my understanding
You understand correctly. AB 2683 reads as follows:
44011. (a) All motor vehicles powered by internal combustion
engines that are registered within an area designated for program
coverage shall be required biennially to obtain a certificate of
compliance or noncompliance, except for all of the following:
(1) Every motorcycle, and every diesel-powered vehicle, until the
department, pursuant to Section 44012, implements test procedures
applicable to motorcycles or to diesel-powered vehicles, or both.
(2) Any motor vehicle that has been issued a certificate of
compliance or noncompliance or a repair cost waiver upon a change of
ownership or initial registration in this state during the preceding
six months.
(3) Any motor vehicle manufactured prior to the 1976 model-year.
(4) (A) Except as provided in subparagraph (B), any motor vehicle
four or less model-years old.
(B) Beginning January 1, 2005, any motor vehicle six or less
model-years old, unless the state board finds that providing an
exception for these vehicles will prohibit the state from meeting the
requirements of Section 176(c) of the federal Clean Air Act (42
U.S.C. Sec. 7401 et seq.) or the state's commitments with respect to
the state implementation plan required by the federal Clean Air Act.

Doesn't matter what plates you put on the car. Historic plates have too may restrictions for me to put them on my 63 or 72, with cost per year for normal ones being not that high. Besides, they're ugly.

Get notified of new replies

To California Historic Vehicle plates???

Quick Reply: California Historic Vehicle plates???