C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'78 Power Antenna Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 10:14 AM
vettefan311
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default '78 Power Antenna Help

Hello guys/gals, I've got a question for you as I'm hoping someone here has been through this before. I'm trying to replace the factory power antenna in my 78 and am having trouble finding the correct replacement. I ordered a replacement from Mid America that they say is the factory replacement for 81-82 but will mount using the factory brackets on my 78. However, it looks completely different than mine and will not mount using my brackets. Does anyone have any idea where I can find the correct replacement? Corvette Central, Ecklers, and Mid America all do not seem to have the right one, any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks!!!!
Old 03-21-2005, 12:02 PM
mvftw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe the '78 was used till early '79. I've seen them on Ebay...
Old 03-21-2005, 12:21 PM
vettefan311
Racer

St. Jude Donor '13

Yeah, I called my local dealer and the part number I need is 22010413. The description says it is the power antenna for 78 and first design 79. He says GM does not offer it anymore, I'll keep an eye on Ebay. Anyone had any luck in finding one other than that? Thanks!!
Old 03-21-2005, 12:56 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vettefan311
Yeah, I called my local dealer and the part number I need is 22010413. The description says it is the power antenna for 78 and first design 79. He says GM does not offer it anymore, I'll keep an eye on Ebay. Anyone had any luck in finding one other than that? Thanks!!
Nope.Went after market. The originals are not good quality even if you find one. A good aftermarket antenna will not devalue your Vette...........
Old 03-21-2005, 01:41 PM
vettefan311
Racer

St. Jude Donor '13

I'm not concerned about going aftermarket, just finding one that will work using my factory mounts. If you have any idea where I can find one, that would be great. As I said, I've tried Ecklers, Corvette Central, and Mid America with no luck so far....thanks for the replies!!
Old 03-21-2005, 05:56 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

I have 2 78-early 79 power antennas in my possession. One is a very nice used one and the other is a NOS that was in a Vette that was wrecked. Looks and works like brand new.
$165 used, $225 for the NOS. I've seen these go for over $400 on Ebay.
I'm even near Chicago(south)and would help put it in!
Perhaps yours could be repaired? I have a good motor and a couple of nylon leaders for them also.
PM me if interested.

Mike
Old 03-21-2005, 07:33 PM
gh78
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after market parts suck!Bought my replacement from a big shot supplier, lasted less then a month! thanks big business and you @Z#Z#
china suppliers,makes me sick
Old 03-21-2005, 11:33 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

other than ebay, where can one be found that will work and look stock?
Old 03-22-2005, 12:27 AM
C3Muscle352
Advanced

i have a '78 with a broken power antenna also. i live really close to ecklers so i just drove on over there and asked for a replacement thinking it would be an eazy swap.... no. they dont make stock replacements anymore is what they told me, noone does. So, not wanting to never be able to get any radio reception i bought they one they had there for '78.

1963-89 Power Antenna Without CB Part# 32891, ecklers.com

swung by home depot got a couple small bracket pieces and built a small bracket to take the place of the old, "out of date" one. worked like a charm. the wireing was fairly eazy, power and ground are right around there for you since the other antenna ran right thought there and all. all you have left to do it hook up the remote wire and the coaxial, hide the wires and your good to go.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:38 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 724 Likes on 471 Posts

Hello guys/gals, I've got a question for you as I'm hoping someone here has been through this before. I'm trying to replace the factory power antenna in my 78 and am having trouble finding the correct replacement. I ordered a replacement from Mid America that they say is the factory replacement for 81-82 but will mount using the factory brackets on my 78. However, it looks completely different than mine and will not mount using my brackets. Does anyone have any idea where I can find the correct replacement? Corvette Central, Ecklers, and Mid America all do not seem to have the right one, any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks!!!!
I had my 78 power unit rebuilt and probably costs less than a replacement. In the change of power antennas, GM went from a cast body to a plastic body as well as the bracket placement. These are used to supercede the early units as well as serve as production for the late model C3s.

Have it rebuilt.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:23 AM
78pacer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wish I woulda known that last year. I let my busted one go for cheep-cheep at Carlisle. Oh well....
Mike
Old 03-22-2005, 06:47 AM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

since the originals are gone, Wal-mart, $40 and my labor was all I needed to buy a chinese replacement. even the GM replacement that my friend at the local chevy dealer was going to sell me for $110 was made in china i believe. it fit fine, works fine even after 2-3 years, and the only difference is the relay is built into the unit so you can bypass your relay under the console. the only problem was the last time I looked at stereos at Wally world i didn't see any antennas.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:18 AM
vettefan311
Racer

St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks for all the replies guys, I too had no idea it was going to be such an ordeal to get a new antenna. I think I'm going to try to take mine apart and rebuild it. I have one of them new nylon leaders too and the motor still works in mine, so do you guys think if I replace the leader it should work? Is this hard to do? Really appreciate the help!!
Old 03-22-2005, 12:28 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,651 Likes on 847 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I believe in Corvette Trader I found a company who can rebuild these as well, if you want to maintain orginality. If mine ever goes, I will go that route as I would lose point if judged. The GM replacment product looks slightly different and has a longer mast.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:00 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Thanks for all the replies guys, I too had no idea it was going to be such an ordeal to get a new antenna. I think I'm going to try to take mine apart and rebuild it. I have one of them new nylon leaders too and the motor still works in mine, so do you guys think if I replace the leader it should work? Is this hard to do? Really appreciate the help!!
If the motor still runs replacing the nylon leader should do the trick. Sometimes the "pinchwheel" that feeds the leader out is worn. Make sure you don't cross the wires when bench testing the unit. There are different hookups for up and down, cross the wrong 2 wires and you will produce smoke! When you have it back together, make sure at least ONE of the 2 contacts is closed or it won't run(that's how I acquired one of my spares). The little tip on the end is usually not screwed on, it's pressed on. There is a trick to switching it from the old to new. If I can help at all let me know.

Mike
Old 03-22-2005, 02:24 PM
Brown78
Burning Brakes

That's just great. My vette was ordered without a radio. So I have a wire going up the windshield piller. As long as I'm heading toured the radio tower the reception is good. But, going away really s#@ks. I have been looking in all the magazines for a electric antenna. I will wait untill you get yours in and working. So you can post how it went. And, I will know witch way to go.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:53 AM
AGVI
Race Director

So these antennas can be rebuilt?
Old 04-14-2005, 08:26 PM
AGVI
Race Director

ttt