C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Needs Help With Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 06:13 AM
qwk vette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Needs Help With Gauges

I have a 77, and have some gauge problems. My oil pressure gauge used to work intermittently but no longer. The clock does not work. The fuel gauge bounces around when the tank is not full. Speedometer needle bounces and odmeter does not work.

Is the oil pressure gauge just a power wire, then wire to the sending unit? What other fixes do I need?

Thanks for all your help
Old 03-30-2005, 07:46 AM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by qwk vette
I have a 77, and have some gauge problems. My oil pressure gauge used to work intermittently but no longer. The clock does not work. The fuel gauge bounces around when the tank is not full. Speedometer needle bounces and odmeter does not work.

Is the oil pressure gauge just a power wire, then wire to the sending unit? What other fixes do I need?

Thanks for all your help
On the speedo, you can probably cure the bouncing problem by pulling the cable and treating it to a clean/lube. To fix the odometer, it will have to be pulled and likely taken to a speedometer shop. As to the oil pressure gauge, try grounding the sender wire momentarily with the ignition on. It should read full scale. if so, the sender is likely bad.

Quick Reply: Newbie Needs Help With Gauges