C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

harmonic balancer slipped/timing chain jumped ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 09:59 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Default harmonic balancer slipped/timing chain jumped ???

my buddy brings his 79 l48 4spd over and its just not running as smooth as before....
So I take out my timing light and start to look at his timing and there is no timing mark visible....move it around to different plug wires and on two we can see a mark at about 33* ATDC thats it...

so here the questions
1. how much does a timing chain have to jump to make an index mark disappear from sight, and if it jumps that much will the car run?

2. if the harmonic balancer slips is the outer ring balanced differently around the perimiter so that it would create a vibration?

3. why is the outer ring mounted on a rubber ring?

Last edited by bobs77vet; 05-04-2005 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:46 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you know me i can't explain thing's real well , i'd check the dampner first
yes it can feel different but doesn't have to rubber is to absorb the shock of combustion ... iv'e seen 2 teeth jumped and still run BUT
it was really bad
Old 05-04-2005, 11:04 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod

Originally Posted by comp
... iv'e seen 2 teeth jumped and still run BUT
it was really bad
this is running rough but not really bad.....i would have to imagine since i can't see the timing mark at all it would have to have jumped several teeth if thats what it did...

i'm guessing the harmonic balancer slipped some how...
Old 05-04-2005, 11:04 AM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bring the number one piston up to top dead center and see where the mark is on the harmonic damper. Since the timing mark is nowhere in sight, all you want to is to check if the balancer slipped and accuracy (a few degrees) of TDC is not important when checking this. You are not setting the balancer to TDC, you are checking to if it slipped a bunch.
I don't think you can use another plug wire (Except #6) because the hd is marked for #1.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:12 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Originally Posted by mandm1200
. Since the timing mark is nowhere in sight, all you want to is to check if the balancer slipped and accuracy (a few degrees) of TDC is not important when checking this. You are not setting the balancer to TDC, you are checking to if it slipped a bunch.

i have a 60* dial back timing light....it was not in sight any where in any position from the drivers side fender either ATDC or BTDC...at any "dialed back position", so thats looking at what... 1/3 of the Harmonic balancer?
Old 05-04-2005, 11:48 AM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If a chain jumped that much, the engine wouldn't run. Basic way to check the balancer: the timing mark is in line with the crankshaft keyway. I'd bet the outer balance ring spun on the inner hub. If you take the lower pulley off, you'll probably find it has also moved back on the hub, often to the point where it rubs the front cover (a bad thing).

Hans
Old 05-04-2005, 11:51 AM
comp
Team Owner

there are 2 different balancer's ,,, i don't remember the yrs .. had to do with the key-way
Old 05-04-2005, 12:03 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Originally Posted by Wrencher
.. I'd bet the outer balance ring spun on the inner hub. If you take the lower pulley off, you'll probably find it has also moved back on the hub, often to the point where it rubs the front cover (a bad thing).

Hans
thats what i'm thinking ... why does it move back on the Hub? and is the outer ring the same weight or is it balanced to the inner ring?
Old 05-04-2005, 01:18 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The inner hub is un-balanced. The outer ring is installed with the rubber "band", then balanced (drilled) with the rotating assembly. When it slips, the balance goes away a bit, but it probably wouldn't be very noticeable unless it was perfect to begin with. The crank, flywheel, pistons, etc. would still be right.

Hans
Old 05-04-2005, 01:40 PM
Marv
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try small adjustments of the distributor to see IF the motor ever smooths out. Then check the timing. I would think if the timing chain was that loose the mark would be jumping all over the place when using the timing light. He may just have a bad plug or plug wire. What work was done to the motor last? I would start there and look for the simplest things first. Good luck
Old 05-04-2005, 01:45 PM
69schemers
Instructor

It is very common to have an old malleable iron inertia ring slip. Verify that it did by checking top dead center and buy a good ATI unit.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:55 AM
emf1367
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default harmonic balancer

I recently experienced the same problem. It turned out to be the outer ring slipped on the hub of the harmonic balancer. If you determine the harmonic balancer slipped and you want to keep it stock for NCRS purposes I suggest you send yours to Damper Dudes for rebuilding.

They rebuilt mine in a one day turn around for about $60.00. I couldn't be more pleased. They are reputable and honest. Check them out at damperdudes.net.

Old 05-05-2005, 01:14 AM
glen242
Melting Slicks

Bring #1 piston up to TDC on compression stroke. Look at mark on dampner. This will definately tell you what is wrong.

Get notified of new replies

To harmonic balancer slipped/timing chain jumped ???

Quick Reply: harmonic balancer slipped/timing chain jumped ???