C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

79 Engine Bay Wiring - Harnesses

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 11:05 PM
79Cruzer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 79 Engine Bay Wiring - Harnesses

I would like to replace the engine bay harnesses. It looks like there are 2 of these connected to the bulkhead connector. Everything seems to be working ok but most of the plastic wire coating on these harnesses are brittle and just a matter of time before electrical problems start cropping up if wires break. My questions are :

1) Are new harnesses readily available?
2) Is there a special tool to get these harnesses out of the bulkhead connector? I don't want to crack the thing open by force things with a screwdriver.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:08 AM
Star79
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can tell you they are definitely available, checked the catalogs of the Big Three and they have various ones priced reasonably for a 79 (<200 for a front lighting harness, also <200 for engine harness).

I'll let someone else answer the second question regarding how to put them on or take them off.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:27 AM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Originally Posted by 79Cruzer
1) Are new harnesses readily available?
2) Is there a special tool to get these harnesses out of the bulkhead connector? I don't want to crack the thing open by force things with a screwdriver.
1) Yes, Try looking at: http://www.lectriclimited.com
2) It's the "special" per-se. There is a bolt in the middle of those two block connectors that holds both of them in to the front of the fusebox (which is what those blocks plug into at the firewall) . If I remember correctly it takes a 7/16" socket, it is easier to see what you are doing from underneath the car.

When you do change the harness's I would suggest that you go from the firewall and follow each one all the way to the last connector, then work your way back to the firewall disconnecting and labeling each plug as you go. Then install the new harness in reverse order (starting at the firewall working towards the other end) using the old harness as a guide.

I did mine while my engine was out of the car so I had easy access to everything, but it shouldn't be too difficult even with the engine in place. Plan on it taking an afternoon and a 6 pack to get it done.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:42 AM
79Cruzer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. Good advice on installing these. I'll check the various links out. The brittle wiring is something that's been bugging me for awhile so I want to get this done.

Get notified of new replies

To 79 Engine Bay Wiring - Harnesses

Quick Reply: 79 Engine Bay Wiring - Harnesses