C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice needed on High torque starter for 427

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 11:01 AM
Daniels
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed on High torque starter for 427

Hi guys,
I'm facing a new issue during the restauration...and some advice would be greatly appreciated!
Last weekend I fired up the engine after almost a year since it was upgraded and rebuilt.

Anyway, removed the valve covers, poured some 10W30 oil on top of the lifters and roller rockers, removed the distributor, primered the oil pump. Placed the distributor back on place, checked the firing order, poured some gas on the carb and hit the starter.

The engine started right up. I did that several times and noticed, that prior to starting up, the engine rotation with the stock starter was kind of slow, and every time I hit the starter it was getting slower.

I had to change the battery twice that day, only doing trials of start up and carb adjustment.

Something I noticed when I received the engine from the US, was that turning the engine by hand was very hard, and after turning it with the stock starter, it always got extremly hot (the stock starter).

I'm thinking about a high torque starter, first, to speed up the rotation and second, so that the battery and the starter life last longer.

Do you think that the new compression the engnine has requires that starter?
The guy who built the engine In Califoria told me the engine had 430hp.+

This are the specks of the as built engine:

standard bore 427,
standard main & rod journals crank
Crane PowerMax hydraulic cam, .534/.553 lift, 286/296 duration, 112 lobe seperation.
Block saver Torrington bearing and lifters.
Cloyes True double roller timing chain.
Melling high volume oil pump w/welded pick up screen.
Hardened oil pump drive shaft w/steel sleeve.
Competition Cam roller tip rocker arms, ***** and nuts.
3/8" hardened push rods w/ guide plates and 7/16" screw in studs.
Valves are intake 2.19" and exhaust 1.88" and hardened seats installed.
We ushrouded the valve ports for the larger valves.
Cast pistons are stock 4.250" bore with .095" dome.
Gapless rings
Performace Plus 180 intake manifold.
Holley 4150, 770 cfm Carburetor w/electric choke.
Connecting rods are stock w/ 3/8" rod bolts.
Pioneer harmonic 427 balancer.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:27 AM
1980 454
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would get one theres nothing worse than getting stranded these starters can handle the heat and apparently last a real long time they still recomend using a heat sheild though .all positive i do recall someone saying something about the wires though i havent installed mine yet but the thread is in here somewhere

Quick Reply: Advice needed on High torque starter for 427