C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a 750cfm carb too big?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 01:21 AM
MoneyPit
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mandm1200,
Did you get fired today, or maybe your dog got run over by a Mustang or something. I have never met lars, and I am not his parrot (parakeets HAVE A LIMITED VOCABULARY, AND THEY ARE RARELY ABLE TO SAY A COMPLETE WORD. a good parrot/parakeet analogy may be kinda like the 100cfm carb on a stock 350 and expecting it to crank out 6500rpms under load). However, I have yet to find many faults in his advice thus far, and I believed the advice he presented above was worth concurrence. I will stick by my original post, except to say 3 or 4 (or maybe even more) 750 carbs on a 1.8L engine is TOO MUCH. Thanks for the tip, I would never have been able to figure that out with my limited common sense.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:47 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,938 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Originally Posted by mandm1200
Lars ...is one one of the famous 'No Carb is Too Big'.
Would somebody please show me where I've ever said that...? I think someone is either taking me out of context or paraphrasing me with some liberty...

I have historically indicated in my posts that any carb, within limits, can be set up to run very well on a Vette engine (V8 engine with 327 cubic inches and bigger - I have never referenced a 1.8 liter engine). I have also indicated that a poor-running car (i.e. "Vette") is not the result of a carb that's too big: If a car runs badly, it's because of poor tuning and setup - not specifically a carb sizing issue. We run a 1050 "toilet bowl" on a 350 for racing, but I don't run a 1050 on my street car. However, I do run a 750 on my 350 (357) street engine, and it runs very well. During carb tuning and carb setups for Forum members, I have run carbs from 390 cfm to 1250 cfm on my street-driven '64 350. This has included a significant number of 850 carbs from Demon and Holley. I have never had any drivability, idle, low-rpm, or off-idle problems with these carbs once they were set up right. On the other hand, I have never recommended an 850 or 1050 carb to anyone on this Forum running a street-driven 350...

"No carb is too big..." I don't believe I've ever said that. However, I notice that whenever something is wrong with the drivability of a Vette, the carb tends to get blamed, and it's an easy cop to tell someone that all their problems are due to their "carb being too big." To this, I say . If the carb and car are set up right, any carb within a normal range can be set up to run well and problem-free.

And to clarify again: You don't "jet down" a big carb. This causes problems. A big carb will receive a reduced fuel metering signal from the engine, and will run lean. To get a big carb to run right, you increase jet size and richen it up.
Old 09-17-2005, 06:14 PM
The Dude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. Not a problem--vacuum secondary, double-pumper or otherwise. Just tune it properly and you're good to go.

BTW, if some of you guys guys want to quote me correctly, I believe what I actually said several months ago and have repeated several times over my tenure here is that there is no such thing as "too much carb" to an eventual point of diminishing returns.

Generally speaking, larger carbs--WHEN TUNED PROPERLY will deliver better performance than smaller ones, all other things being equal.

When I say, "point of diminishing returns," I mean that, a PROPERLY TUNED 750 CFM carb that replaces a PROPERLY TUNED 650 CFM carb might give you 10 or 15 h.p. at peak. Going from that 750 to a PROPERLY TUNED 850 might only net you 5 or 7. And going from an 850 to a PROPERLY TUNED Dominator might only give you 2 or 3 hp at peak.

I may not be as legendary a tuner as Lars, but it is interesting to see how Mr. Grimsrud and myself--along with a number of other credible individuals--share very similar ideas on this particular subject. Probably because we have each, in our own individual ways, BTDT.

Thankyaverymuch.

Last edited by The Dude; 09-17-2005 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:19 PM
Buffalo Dude
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by GrandSportC3
but if you are concerned about fuel economy, a C3 isn't really the right car to own
Says the guy that put OD in his C3
Old 09-18-2005, 12:31 AM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lars
Would somebody please show me where I've ever said that...? I think someone is either taking me out of context or paraphrasing me with some liberty...
As you know the search function is not the greatest. I can not say for certain what you meant in this thread http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...arb&forum_id=3 ; however, I think I seen the "No Carb Is Too Big" either by you or others who have repeatedly used that quote referencing it back to you. I am not about to go against the grain. You are definetly a couple of notches above most of us in regards to technical knowledge. If you read all my post in this thread, you'll see that we have a lot of common ground. It's those who say no carb is to big that raises my eyebrow. Where did they hear that? Let them chime in and say so. From they way this thread reads, there is such a thing as too much carburation in regards to cfm. As I stated before, you are way to wise to believe there is no limit. Or at least I think you're to wise.

I don't think I have to back down. I stated that there is a range of cfm carburators that will work. A little 2 barrel carb will work and so will a multi-carb setup. There is a difference between something just plain working and something working/perfoming appropriately. Much of this will depend on the engine itself, the application, and the type of carburator. A holley 750 cfm mechanical secondary carb may not be the wisest of choice for stock/mild perfomance 350 driven around town and never seeing a track. Will it work? Sure it will. Would something smaller make more sense? I think so. Would this 750 cfm carb be too big for a high performance 1/4 mile drag car. I doubt it.

There has to be reason why the carb manufactures make different size carburators. Things would be a lot simpler if we all bolted on 1050 cfm carburators on are 4,6 8, cylinder cars.

Maybe you are too modest to believe it, but many forum members believe every word you say. To those members; you are the Corvette God and they will defend what you say with their life.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:06 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a muscle relaxer and have a beer....
Old 09-18-2005, 01:15 AM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Brettmc
Take a muscle relaxer and have a beer....
Good advice! What's your point. Did I make too much sense that you can't disagree with it.

edit.\
I forgot, another carb expert chiming in!

Last edited by mandm1200; 09-18-2005 at 01:18 AM.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:18 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Yep. Gonna yank the annular 850 off the 468 in the morning. What would you suggest? A cute little 600 VS?
Old 09-18-2005, 01:23 AM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Why ask me? It looks like I'm here to be flamed. Too many say one thing but can't support what they say.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:26 AM
surfshark
Pro

My effort to lighten things up a little... I remember seeing Carl Sagan in a TV interview smiling as he said, "I have never said 'billions and billions' of stars".
Old 09-18-2005, 01:33 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Good advice! What's your point. Did I make too much sense that you can't disagree with it.

edit.\
I forgot, another carb expert chiming in!
Were you referring to me?

EDIT: Just wipe the dogsheet off your feet, things will look better after a good nights sleep....or does it run deeper than that...

Last edited by Brettmc; 09-18-2005 at 01:38 AM.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:37 AM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

If you were referring to me, I was certainly referring to you. Who else were your referring to with your sarcastic remark? I had enough of the attacks.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:39 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

It does....
Old 09-18-2005, 01:49 AM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

EDIT: Just wipe the dogsheet off your feet, things will look better after a good nights sleep....or does it run deeper than that...
It seems I do not have the problem. If you want to get personal, so be it. Did I hurt your little feelings? You seem quick to come onboard and put me down, but offer nothing positive. Can't even offer an opposing view. Your suppose to act as though you have some intelligence when posting.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:36 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Yep. Gonna yank the annular 850 off the 468 in the morning. What would you suggest? A cute little 600 VS?
Brettmc...
If your gonna ditch your 850, I need a new carb. for my lawnmover...
Old 09-18-2005, 05:28 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

If big_G doesn't want it, I'll take it

Lars has been clear, some people just don't listen well, on both sides.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:03 PM
anmracing
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by surfshark
I want to put my 300HP 350 back in my car until I get a 406 built and I have to buy a carb/intake for it. I don't want to buy a 650cfm and then turn around to buy a 750 for the 406 once it's ready.

My question is, can I get away with using a 750 with an Edelbrock RPM intake, stock camshaft, and 041 heads in the 350 for the time being, and then put the carb (and the intake) on the 406 in several months? I have a 3.73 rear and 2300 stall converter. I don't want to spend the money on a bigger cam and springs, etc. for the 350 either since it comes out in a few months. Thank you for any help.
Anyway, I think the 750 would work ok. It may bog a little if you gun it real hard, or it may load up if its not tuned right. But it should work out if the correct jets or installed. I had one on a Mopar 318 once and it ran fine, put the same carb on a 440 rejetted and away we went....

Andrew
Old 09-18-2005, 11:17 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Okay enough of the striff. I have a little 327 with a 750 BG, THANKS LARS. They had 850CFM carbs stock on several SB platforms including my buddies 69 Z-28. Yes this is a factory option. (read GM enginners made this decision.) Okay enough said, get the point.

Old 09-19-2005, 08:09 AM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

It may be on the large side but it shouldn't warrant buying another carb until the bigger engine goes in.

Quick Reply: Is a 750cfm carb too big?