C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed Timing Cover: Picture

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 06:06 PM
nastee383
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Removed Timing Cover: Picture

This is what I found. The builder advanced the cam 4 degrees so the mark on the crank sprocket circled is the triangle and the mark on the cam sprocket circled is the circle. The motor is at TDC on the compression stroke in this picture.

The chain is not slack or loose, however if you look at the cam dowel it looks like it tried to break out of the retainer. I'll probably remove the cam tomorrow to see if it's damaged in any way.

I believe I remember reading in some posts that at TDC, compression stroke both alignment marks should be at the 12 o'clock position which they are. Anyone see anything suspicious?
Old 10-07-2005, 10:28 PM
nastee383
Melting Slicks

Help me out now. I know the motor isn't in my Vette but it may be one day. Are both marks supposed to be at the 12 o'clock position with the motor at TDC on the compression stroke?
Old 10-07-2005, 10:38 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

I assume that you checked the pressure (compression on all cylinders)
If the pressure is ok, the timing chain is ok and the carb is ok...and the rocker arms move.. and if I remember correctly, you also tried another distributor... then I think that somehow the cam gears (where they meet with the distributor) could be worn down which would also explain that it jumps timing...

Last edited by GrandSportC3; 10-07-2005 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:43 PM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

I prefer to look at the marks when the cam is at 6 and the crank is at 12. The marks are easier to align and it has no affect on the cam timing.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:00 PM
c3 in hawaii
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mandm1200
I prefer to look at the marks when the cam is at 6 and the crank is at 12. The marks are easier to align and it has no affect on the cam timing.
this is the way I always did it
Old 10-07-2005, 11:09 PM
David Ey
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

me too
Old 10-07-2005, 11:24 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Me three
Old 10-07-2005, 11:27 PM
VETTEVIC
Pro

you have got it on the exhaust stroke according to the marks.
START- marks are (cam at 6 o'clock crank at 12 o'clock) top of compression stroke
Stroke 1- (combustion) crank goes to bottom and cam to 9 o'clock
Stroke 2- (exhaust) crank goes to 12 o'clock and cam to 12 o'clock
Stroke 3- (intake) crank goes to 6 o'clock cam to 3 o'clock
Stroke 4- (compression) crank goes to 12 o'clock cam to 6 o'clock and start over agian 4 strokes per cycle (2 revolutions of crank and 1 on the cam)

vic
Old 10-07-2005, 11:32 PM
VETTEVIC
Pro

The cam gear only goes on ONE WAY
the crank gear can (on aftermarket performance timing gear sets) be set at 4 deg before TDC, 0 deg TDC, and 4 deg after TDC
Before TDC gives you more high rpm performance.
TDC gives you neautral torque/HP curve.
After gives you more bottom end (low rpm) torque.

vic
Old 10-07-2005, 11:47 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

So is the cam at 12 and the crank at 12 like in the picture, firing on number 1 cylinder or is it firing on number 6 cylinder ?
Old 10-07-2005, 11:54 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTEVIC
you have got it on the exhaust stroke according to the marks.
START- marks are (cam at 6 o'clock crank at 12 o'clock) top of compression stroke
Stroke 1- (combustion) crank goes to bottom and cam to 9 o'clock
Stroke 2- (exhaust) crank goes to 12 o'clock and cam to 12 o'clock
Stroke 3- (intake) crank goes to 6 o'clock cam to 3 o'clock
Stroke 4- (compression) crank goes to 12 o'clock cam to 6 o'clock and start over agian 4 strokes per cycle (2 revolutions of crank and 1 on the cam)

vic

THis is what I thought too, meaning it is firing on ( TDC ) the number 6 cylinder in this configuration
Old 10-08-2005, 12:00 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nastee383
This is what I found. The builder advanced the cam 4 degrees so the mark on the crank sprocket circled is the triangle and the mark on the cam sprocket circled is the circle.
The cam sprocket and the crank gear have the triangle, o, and square markings. The crank gear is set on the triangle, the cam sprocket should also be be on the triangle, not the O. I think I mentioned that in an earlier post in this thread.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:06 AM
VETTEVIC
Pro

Originally Posted by GDaina
The cam sprocket and the crank gear have the triangle, o, and square markings. The crank gear is set on the triangle, the cam sprocket should also be be on the triangle, not the O. I think I mentioned that in an earlier post in this thread.
This is true, BUT you can only install the cam gear one way, you just line up the different marks. tha crank has to be installed in a different position for each timing change, ie: keyway in slot that corresponds to the mark you are wantin to line up. Good point though, I was assuming that was understood, sorry.

vic
Old 10-08-2005, 12:27 AM
David Ey
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by nastee383
I believe I remember reading in some posts that at TDC, compression stroke both alignment marks should be at the 12 o'clock position which they are. Anyone see anything suspicious?
I don't believe this is true for #1 tdc.
Holy molie nastee, I hope you don't have a cam ground for a counter rotating marine engine.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:30 AM
comp
Team Owner

6 and 12 for me also
Old 10-08-2005, 07:46 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTEVIC
This is true, BUT you can only install the cam gear one way, you just line up the different marks. tha crank has to be installed in a different position for each timing change, ie: keyway in slot that corresponds to the mark you are wantin to line up. Good point though, I was assuming that was understood, sorry.

vic
Thanks for the correction...yep lining up the marks. Rotate the assembly so the cam is on the 6 and crank is on the 12 o'clock position.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:56 AM
texaswilkins
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does this mean the engine may have been firing but at the wrong time causing it not to start?

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Removed Timing Cover: Picture

Old 10-08-2005, 08:58 AM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I've had this problem, too.

When piston #1 is on comp stroke at TDC the mark on the crank sprocket is at 12 o'clock and the mark on the cam sprocket, too.

I watched the valves opening and closing while turning the crank with a wrench (all spark plugs removed, paper towel in #1 spark plug hole to verify comp stroke).

I was sooo sure that it was wrong, I turned the crank, watched valves opening and closing for hours.... couldn't believe it was correct

I have both marks at 12 o'clock and the engine runs fine

As said above: it works only one way

Maybe it depends on the timing gear manufacturer where they mark the sprockets ???
Old 10-08-2005, 09:46 AM
VETTEVIC
Pro

Originally Posted by RedBad1979
I've had this problem, too.

When piston #1 is on comp stroke at TDC the mark on the crank sprocket is at 12 o'clock and the mark on the cam sprocket, too.

I watched the valves opening and closing while turning the crank with a wrench (all spark plugs removed, paper towel in #1 spark plug hole to verify comp stroke).

I was sooo sure that it was wrong, I turned the crank, watched valves opening and closing for hours.... couldn't believe it was correct

I have both marks at 12 o'clock and the engine runs fine

As said above: it works only one way

Maybe it depends on the timing gear manufacturer where they mark the sprockets ???
No it doesnt depend on the manufacturer, you always (ALWAYS) line up the marks facing each other (crank 12, cam 6) regardless of what cylinder is at TDC. The marks correctly aling the cam to the crank. Nowhere did I say it was supposed to be #1 at compression, cause it doesnt matter when installing the gears and chain, only that it is at TDC. What matters is that the cam and crank are in sync. Then you set the #1 cyl at TDC on compression stroke to set the distributor timing, these are two completely different processes that need each other to be right to effect a proper cyl fire. If you have the sprockets properly aligned for installation, the #6 cyl should be the one on compression and both 1 & 6 at TDC. It is the TDC part that is important when lining up the marks not which stroke its on. Also when you have it set at 4deg advance or retarded it will not be at TDC, it will be off 4deg. There are whole books on this subject, and many details that many (incl me) leave out cause its something that is seen too often.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:50 AM
VETTEVIC
Pro

Default My Appologies

OOps, just reread the first post, you did ask about #1 being at TDC COMPRESSION. Sorry! Anyway, you have all the info you need to get it right, A Haynes, or Chilton manual should be able to give you all the info you need. If you dont have one ill try to scan a pick of the sproket align in a few and post it.

vic

Quick Reply: Removed Timing Cover: Picture