C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400 Governor

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 01:23 AM
Vesa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TH400 Governor

Where it is? Just drained my tranny and took the filter off, but as first timer still hard to figure which part / where it is?

The B&M governor recalibration Kit instructions say it has a cover with 4 bolts, but I only see the 10"x10" valve body system and right after that (when heading towards cars rear end) there is a cover with 6 bolts and it i also from one corner a bit under the valve body so you can not open it unless you loosen the valve body also (and one bolt is just behind the oil line) - well anyway I opened that and there was like a big valve with 2 large spring, the bigger was cracked...but this anyway seems not to be the covernor since no weights and small spings seem to exist??? But anyway what is this strange valve I opened and what bis it doing, and now when the bigger spring is broken what has that effected to the operation in general...???
Old 10-16-2005, 01:44 AM
BigBlockk
Drifting

The governor is on the passenger side of the transmission at the rear. Directly across from the speedometer gear hole. It is a flat cover about the size of a baseball held on by four bolts. You do not need to remove the transmission pan to reach the governor. The cross member may make it hard to see the governor cover. You may need to support the transmission and remove the cross member.

The cover with six bolts is the rear servo cover. The thing with the springs inside it is the rear servo assembly.

BigBlockk

Later.....

Last edited by BigBlockk; 10-16-2005 at 01:58 AM.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:58 AM
Vesa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BigBlockk
The governor is on the passenger side of the transmission at the rear. Directly across from the speedometer gear hole. It is a flat cover about the size of a baseball held on by four bolts.

BigBlockk

Later.....
Can you see it without removing the valvebody? And can you open it without removing anything else first? I go under the car and have a one more look around that area...

Been trying to surf on the net for a picture (hopefully with explanations) of the TH400 from underside, but no luck yet...
Old 10-16-2005, 04:32 AM
Vesa
Burning Brakes

Thanks BB - now I think I found it. It is outside the pan area in the side of the tranny. But the working area is very very tight. Anybody having experience if you really can get the bolts open and governor out without any extra parts ripped away...
Old 10-16-2005, 08:11 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

You will have to loosen/remove the exhaust, then remove the bolts holding the tranny crossmember in place to lower the tranny enough to remove the governor. The other way is to pull the carpet back inside the car on the passenger side tranny tunnel, and cut a hole to gain access to the governor. You can then cover the hole with a metal plate or something similar.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:21 AM
77TSi-meez
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats a milf ?
Old 10-16-2005, 11:30 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by 77TSi-meez
whats a milf ?
ummmmm......Mother I'd Like to Fock

It is a hot looking mother!

Last edited by 7t2vette; 10-16-2005 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:33 PM
Vesa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
You will have to loosen/remove the exhaust, then remove the bolts holding the tranny crossmember in place to lower the tranny enough to remove the governor. The other way is to pull the carpet back inside the car on the passenger side tranny tunnel, and cut a hole to gain access to the governor. You can then cover the hole with a metal plate or something similar.
I managed to get the 4 bolts open and governor out, but it took 1 and a half hours - REAL pain. And did not loosen anything to help me get there...and I have 2 1/2 dual exhaust so it really was tight area
Now governor weights changed and tomorrow 2 hours to put them back

Get notified of new replies

To TH400 Governor

Quick Reply: TH400 Governor