C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting fixed crossmember to removable

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 09:16 PM
jeffrow68
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Converting fixed crossmember to removable

I want to convert the fixed crossmember on my 68 4 speed to a removable piece for ease of removal of the transmission. Any suggestions on how to tackle this would be helpful. I have side exhaust so the cutouts are not necessary. I was thinking of cutting the crossmember out, welding plates to each end, and bolting it back together.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:07 PM
JonnHeather
Racer

I did it, very easy to do. Cut the old one out, get an assembly from an auto frame including the brackets that weld to the frame. Once you have all of the parts, bolt it to the transmission and then weld the brackets to the frame. You will also need to weld some nuts in the bottom of the frame for the bolts that go in the bottom of the crossmember. I used square nuts, there is also an expandable nut you can use. Shouldn't take more than a half of a day at most...
Old 10-16-2005, 10:16 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What I would do first is clamp the plates to the crossmember, drill the bolt holes in the plates and the crossmember, then cut the crossmember.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:42 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is a good site from Zwede

Check this out
http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/zwed...mec/tremec.htm
Old 10-17-2005, 05:41 PM
jeffrow68
Advanced

The pics from Zwede were great, he mentioned a group discount for a Tremec transmission in his thread, how can I get more info on this? I am making my crossmember removable as a 1st step in preparing to install a 5 speed in the future.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:44 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffrow68
The pics from Zwede were great, he mentioned a group discount for a Tremec transmission in his thread, how can I get more info on this? I am making my crossmember removable as a 1st step in preparing to install a 5 speed in the future.
Very smart. It makes the trans go in much easier and for future removal makes life a lot easier. I think you missed out on the group purchase. That was a while ago that it was available. I made mine removable and can have the trans on the floor in about an hour.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:15 PM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffrow68
I would contact and talk to them first as they have a complete kit that will fit. They also have a great shifter as well. And also Great customer service.

Last edited by GDaina; 10-17-2005 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:10 PM
redc3
Melting Slicks

i did mine alittle different than swede, although it was his advice that got me into this mod in the first place. i started by taking MANY MANY measurment, from any and all points i could to make sure it went back the same as it came out. i cut the x-member about 4" from the side frame rail by the doors were it is welded. i fabbed up some 1/4 flat plate almost the same shape as the x- member tube. i clamped two of the plates together at a time and drilled four 7/16 holes in the corners with it clamped. i welded one plate to each remaining x-member stub under the car. then i subtracted the witdh of the two plates and cut the difference from my center x- member peice. ( on each side of course ). i clamped this together under the car with bolts in the plates and welded the joined plates to the x- member center peice. so now my x-member can drop straight down when i remove it, and does not have to rely on bolts alone to stop movement side to side. i have also seen tubular x-memberson this forum, which would help you as you have side pipes and arent worried about the cutouts
Old 10-19-2005, 02:17 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi

I also had to cut the crossmember out of my 68 as I installed a T56 .
I used a removable crossmember from a auto Vette and boltet it some inches further bach up.
I did this to keep the looks more or less original as I have to go through a bi-yearly inspection and the inspectors can be so picky.

Günther

Last edited by WESCH; 10-19-2005 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:22 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redc3
i did mine alittle different than swede, although it was his advice that got me into this mod in the first place. i started by taking MANY MANY measurment, from any and all points i could to make sure it went back the same as it came out. i cut the x-member about 4" from the side frame rail by the doors were it is welded. i fabbed up some 1/4 flat plate almost the same shape as the x- member tube. i clamped two of the plates together at a time and drilled four 7/16 holes in the corners with it clamped. i welded one plate to each remaining x-member stub under the car. then i subtracted the witdh of the two plates and cut the difference from my center x- member peice. ( on each side of course ). i clamped this together under the car with bolts in the plates and welded the joined plates to the x- member center peice. so now my x-member can drop straight down when i remove it, and does not have to rely on bolts alone to stop movement side to side. i have also seen tubular x-memberson this forum, which would help you as you have side pipes and arent worried about the cutouts
Exactly what I had in mind.

Get notified of new replies

To Converting fixed crossmember to removable

Quick Reply: Converting fixed crossmember to removable