C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

'78 Clock Stop Working

Old 08-03-2001, 01:36 PM
Ominous Z06
CF Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default '78 Clock Stop Working

I'm looking for a procedure to troubleshoot the clock in my '78 SA...it just stopped working. Also, the digital clock on the radio always resets to 12:00.
I'm guessing I should take the instrument cluster out, but I don't have a shop manual illustrating the proper method. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric
Old 08-03-2001, 04:39 PM
stickben
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: '78 Clock Stop Working (Ominous C5)

not sure about the clock in the instrument cluster. My 76's clock was broken when I bought it, the radio should have a wire (usually yellow) that is used for a 12v constant. Its purpose is to keep the clock running when the car is off. You might want to check if its hooked up right.
Old 08-03-2001, 06:30 PM
fognozl
CF Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: '78 Clock Stop Working (Ominous C5)

Most of the clocks can be repaired by simply taking it apart and filing the the small set of points on the inside. Reminded me of a miniature set of ignition points. I filed mine flat 6 months ago and still works great. Did this after getting a tip from this wonderful forum!
Good luck...
Old 08-03-2001, 07:12 PM
tangee-vette
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: '78 Clock Stop Working (fognozl)

I second Jeff's post, did the same procedure on my 77's clock including using light-weight oil on the mechanism. Did this two years ago....still runs great. Now if I just could keep my wife on time!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '78 Clock Stop Working

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: