C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dodge Daytona

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2001, 06:04 PM
vettepowA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Daytona

Though about getting one just for fun. an 88 or 89 anyone have any experience with them? :confused: :bigears
Old 08-03-2001, 06:19 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Dodge Daytona (vettepowA)

IF it has a Mitsubishi ANYTHING in it, it's crap....for some reason every American badge car that uses a *** or German engine/tranny or some such combo the foreign parts fail in a premature ugly death...giving the domestic name a black eye with the public....

goes back a LONG time with Chrysler, and even with GM and Mexico engines...

Ford also....

GENE
Old 08-03-2001, 06:52 PM
Jay M
Drifting

I test drove one in '88 or '89 when I was looking for a new car. I wasn't very impressed. I wanted a fast car with good handling. I ended up with a Firebird Formula 350 with the WS6 suspension. It was cheaper than the Daytona, and faster than a Corvette.

The Daytona as best as I can recall wasn't much more than a normal compact car, it didn't stand out as being fast, or a great handler. But 1988 was a long time ago, so take my opinion with a grain of salt;)

What kind of fun are you looking for?

The Dodge Omni GLH turbo is an awesome little sleeper of a car.

~Jay
Old 08-03-2001, 07:12 PM
Blues77
Burning Brakes

I own one, its not a bad car. If your looking for fun, im not sure this is going to cure your crave. I heard the Shelbys are pretty cool.
Old 08-03-2001, 09:13 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Dodge Daytona (Blues77)

I had an '86 Chrysler Laser XT Turbo which I bought new when I graduated college. The XT edition had extra ground effects and creature features and performance stuff from the factory. It was a limited edition thing and in '86 you could only get red in the XT model. That was a FUN FUN car! Mine was FLASH Red. More appropriately arrest me red... I got pulled over 13 times my first year with it. :blueangel: Only ended up with 1 speeding ticket though. :jester I put 100k miles on it over 10 years. Only ever had regular maintenance things to deal with. It was a great car. I traded it in when I got my Rustang GT Convertible. At the time the Rustang was lots faster. But that was a '95 vs. '86. I also test drove the '95-ish sporty cars comprable to the Laser and they really seemed like dogs compared with my little turbo. A bunch of my friends had similar Lasers and Daytonas at the time and when we street raced (sorta) I usually did pretty well.... could be that I would speed shift the 5 spd. Oh, I did go through clutches like crazy, but that was driving habits I think. :rolleyes: I must say I am sorry I traded it in. I shouldn't have. :( The interior was in darn near perfect condition and there was fading on the rear spoiler (sun) and one door ding. I used to spend HOURS detailing the thing. I never once detailed the Rustang. Oh well, maybe when my daughter is ready to drive I'll get her one.
Old 08-03-2001, 10:37 PM
java0881
Burning Brakes

this is a dodge daytona
Old 08-04-2001, 04:24 PM
spikezz4
Pro

I had an 86 with the 2.5 liter engine and 5-spd Getrag tranny. Loved it. The extra cost ($400) sport seats I wish I could fit into the Corvette. I put 186,000 miles on it in nearly 8 years, and engine compression was to good to think about a rebuild. First year of base coat/clear coat, so I had to do some painting about 3 years in. All else was great.

Spike
Old 08-05-2001, 12:17 PM
Jon69L46
Racer

Default Re: Dodge Daytona (java0881)

Thanks java....that's the Daytona I remember!!
Old 08-05-2001, 01:32 PM
Sleestak
Team Owner

Default Re: Dodge Daytona (Jon69L46)

Dagnabit! Java beat me to it! :jester

Get notified of new replies

To Dodge Daytona

Quick Reply: Dodge Daytona