C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear End Gear Ratio Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2001, 09:24 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Rear End Gear Ratio Recommendation (ScubaJKD)

Well, if you are thinking seriously about the ROD, I would actually consider a rear gear ratio in the 2's...isn't there a 2.87 or something? You can custom order your ROD gear ratios, with an available 3.35 first gear, which is obscenely low compared to the stock M21 2.20. If you are seriously considering that swap, you should talk to Bob Turner (that's his forum name too), and MassVette, as they are both running ROD's in their C3's (and I am sure there are a few others too).

AC
Old 08-05-2001, 10:32 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

W/ your trans., C.I. & cam, your gears are fine for what you want. Consider 17" wheels if you change & you can get 27" which fit the fenderwells better & keep speedo accuracy. You really need to drive it some & evaluate before switching gears/trans.!

:cheers:
Old 08-05-2001, 11:24 AM
Ship1
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Rear End Gear Ratio Recommendation (Pat 69BigBlock)

Damn, now that nice.

Don't ever sell if you want to live a life without regrets.
Old 08-05-2001, 11:31 AM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Rear End Gear Ratio Recommendation (Ganey)

Thanks for all the good advise guys you have really helped me out. Hear is what I have decided. 383 should do fine with 3.36 gears. I just swapped them in from the 3.08 when I had the rear end rebuilt. Sounds like I made a good choice. I am going to run them a while with my 27.1 tires until I mount my new Vintage Wheel Torg Thrust D 16" with 255x50x16 BFG Comp TA Tires. Should increase my 70 cuising RPM by 100 according to the calculator. I think that is well within my power band as my Roller Cam specs out to 2200 - 5800 according to COMP. Should be great but as recommended from you guys I am going to run it awhile before any other mods. Still thinking seriously about the tranny swap but I just rebuilt the Muncie M21 put in a lakewood bellhousing and centerforce II clutch so I had to not use all that money that I just spent. Probably not gonna wanna mess with it for a couple of years. Thanks again for all the great advise. This forum rocks and you guys are great. Even those of you with child proof trannies LOL. As my buddy with a 406 Camaro and 400 trans, always tells me " Im gonna stomp a mud whole in your A** when you get that thing running " ha ha ha ha
Old 08-05-2001, 12:19 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with you Skuba, Manual trannys are a ton a fun for sure. I still believe there is nothing childish about a good setup automatic. I wasnt trying to talk you into an auto. Just wanted to hear your game plan. I use the same calc to help me plan my tranny swap. Its a great resource that can help us know what to expect with a particular setup.

Believe me, I will line up against anyone at a light. Even if I expect to get beat, at least I get to see the other car run. I feel good when I win. Occaisionally the vistory feeling extends to the other driver. I wont let off untill absoltly nessisary. Make one little mistake with yur manual tranny, and yur mine.

I was playin with a new LS1 6spd Camaro on Fri night. We went back and forth and up and down the highway following each other thru U-turns and up to lights. As we approched each oncomming light we would slow down to 20mph praying for the light to change red. It did a number of times. On the first run we ran side by side. The kid eventually figured out how to keep it in first to the redline. He would get maybe 3 lengths on me but that was it. We moved along to the next light. Only one lane was open at that light so he lined up behind me. I came off the light moderatly and waited for him to try and pass me. I saw his headlights yank to the left and I punched it. From a 30mph roll it dropped into 1st and I went back in my seat. We stayed on it to 110mph or so. Although I never saw him in my rearview, I also didnt see him at my side. If I woulda had my tranny/gearswap already in I woulda walked him real good. It was fun. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. With anyone.

Peace
Old 08-05-2001, 12:33 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Rear End Gear Ratio Recommendation (Jvette73)

Okay the rest of the story. You caught me I confess my first car was not a Vette. It was a 73 Triumph TR-6 that I restored myself. Little straight 6 and a 4 speed. I loved the car but one summer day I took it to Branson MO and drove it with the top down through the winding hills and mountains shifting with the curve of the road and revving though each moutain pass. I was hooked from there on out. Just somthing cool to me about shifting allthough I have to admit I have been smoked several times from the occassional missed shift. Good thing I have a Rev limiter in Natasha thats my 69 Roadster LOL.

Quick Reply: Rear End Gear Ratio Recommendation