C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AR Torq Trust D

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2001, 10:50 AM
Vettesic
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Default AR Torq Trust D

I tried to attach this to my original post but the new software wouldn't let me dp that.

Did some research on mounting American Racing Torq Thrust D'S on the Vette. 15x8.5 or 15x7, AR said that there arer fit problems with these rims. In other words they will hit the calipers. If spacers are applied they may either stick out too far or hit the wheel wells. They suggested the TT II which are all chrome as opposed to the D's which have the magnesium center. I personnally like the mag/gray center. The cost is about 215.00 per rim. Not sure at this point .
Dave/Rolling Thunder, I asked about the required change of lug studs....They said that the stock lug studs will fit. Also, the same stock tappered lugs will fit on the AR's. Hope that ansewered your question. L8TER, Paul.
Old 08-04-2001, 11:01 AM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Default Re: AR Torq Trust D (Vettesic)

Paul - Glad to hear the lug studs will work. Thanks for the feedback. From what I've been told, the caliper interferrence is very minor and can be solved with a thin spacer or a little machining. Someone on the forum even mentioned taking a slight cut (with a grinder) off the back of the caliper. I'll get back to wheels issue soon and let you know what I decide.

Thanks
Dave
Old 08-04-2001, 11:34 AM
StingrayRacing
Burning Brakes

I'm surprised that AR didn't tell you about the new 205's that are coming out that look like the TTD's and are available in all the sizes the TTII's are...I think 15" -> 20".
Old 08-04-2001, 12:56 PM
spikezz4
Pro

Vettesic, I have the TTD's mounted. Yes, they rub the calaper with the so-called universal spacer. Yes, you can grind the spacer for clearance. BUT, my studs only had 1-2 turns into the nut. Unsafe.

I have already had a CNC machine shop design & blueprint a custom spacer with the GM center flange. It goes on right every time and will allow the wheel and tire to balance properly. We replaced the studs so we had at least a turn outside the nut. I forget the length, but I can give yo the phone no. of the shop. They can also lead you to the machine shop if yoy want the custom spacers. They will be cheaper to make since the prints are already complete and on file.

If you stay with the universal spacers, be alert to how far the studs go into the nut, and expect to have balancing problems every time you remove and re-install a wheel.

Spike :chevy
Old 08-04-2001, 01:39 PM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Default Re: AR Torq Trust D (spikezz4)

Spike - These may be dumb questions, but I have never had a wheel to measure:

Couldn't the hub be drilled to suit a longer style lug nut? Is length of the stud a problem if you don't use a spacer? Can the back of the wheel be machined to avoid use of a spacer?

Dave

Dave
Old 08-04-2001, 04:11 PM
spikezz4
Pro

Default Re: AR Torq Trust D (Rolling Thunder)

Rolling Thunder: Hmmm.

I sure wish I had had the forethought to measure the wheel width and backspacing before the tires were mounted. We went with the professional, safe way to solve the problem, even though it is relatively expensive. On the other hand, we will never have a balance problem, as long as some dummy doesn't lose or bend the custom spacers.

Q1, I'm not sure if drilling the hub for a longer lug nut is a good idea. Frankly, the shop would never do that.
Q2, If the backspacing was correct, you would not need a different stud. Unfortunately, ARE doesn't make them that way.
Q3, The shop would never machine the back of the wheel. That would be getting into structure problems not to mention balance problems.

Do it right the first time; it will pay dividends in many happy future years.

Spike
Old 08-05-2001, 10:46 AM
Vettesic
Drifting

WOW,

These wheels are beginning to sound like a hassle!!
Spikezz4....Think i'll hold off on that custon spacer/studs for now and call AR back to get info on the new 205 TTD rim Stingrayracing speaks of.
I specifically asked the guy at AR sabout the stud issue and he said that wouldn't be a problem. Maybe they should hire you with the first hand knowledge. Thanks for this important heads-up!! L8TER, Paul.

[Modified by Vettesic, 8:48 AM 8/5/2001]
Old 08-05-2001, 11:45 AM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Everytime I just about get talked out of these TT-D wheels, I see something that reminds me why I want them so bad. (Did you see the thread with the link to the James Garner L-88's? :cool: ) Good points Spike, thanks for the feedback.

Paul, if I'm not mistaken, the 205's are TT-II's with painted spokes to make them look similar to the TT-D's. Let us know if you find out different.

Dave

Just look at dem wheels. :D

[Modified by Rolling Thunder, 10:01 AM 8/5/2001]
Old 08-05-2001, 12:00 PM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Default Re: AR Torq Trust D (Rolling Thunder)

Check out Vintage Wheel Works online. They make a knock off Torq Thrust D in 16 inch with 4 inces of backspacing. My understanding is that they do not require a spacer. I have seen these wheels they are awsome and you can use some of the new rubber for 16 wheels.
Old 08-05-2001, 01:23 PM
BB2B
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They're not as hard to mount as some may believe, it just takes a little patience.
Old 08-06-2001, 10:38 AM
Vettesic
Drifting

Dave/Rolling Thunder,

Not so sure I like the idea of painted center spokes.....sounds cheap. I'll try to research and let ya know. Cool pic. What/where is it? Definetly like Miss Colorados legs, err...wheels. Wonder what she looks like now?? :blueangel:

SkubaJKD, What is the stock backspacing?? I checked out the Vintage 45 website. Their wheel is a little more $$, but if it fits, who cares about money!! Gonna give them a call later on today. Let ya know what they say. L8TER, Paul.

Get notified of new replies

To AR Torq Trust D

Quick Reply: AR Torq Trust D