C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locking Lug Nut help

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2001, 05:12 PM
YankeeStation1967
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts

Default Locking Lug Nut help

My new 71 conv came with one locking lug nut on each front wheel. These are the kind that use a "special" key. The guy I bought the car from lost the key.

Anybody got any ideas? These are not the lockable type with the ends where you can blow them off with an impact wrench, but are the rounded style where you can't get a wrench on the nut.

Help!!!!!!!! :cry
Old 08-04-2001, 06:58 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Locking Lug Nut help (Ed T)

I have one of those keys sitting here on my desk. I removed the locking lugnuts and I was going to put the set up on ebay but never bothered to. If you want the key, drop me your mailing address.
Old 08-04-2001, 07:11 PM
Chris Fowler
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'10

Default Re: Locking Lug Nut help (Binnie77)

They key shouldn't match. Each should be close to one of a kind...otherwise you'd just have to go buy a key to steal someone's wheels...

As for getting it off, I've heard people say they've pounded on sockets and gotten them off that way. I have also heard that some places will chisel them off (for a large cost). I also wonder if vice grips would do the trick...
Old 08-04-2001, 07:49 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

I too have these on my wheels from former owner but have the key. If you have a Dremel or die grinder; grind away and try to put some sides on the lock so that a socket will grab when hammered on. A nut cracking tool might also work if you can get it to stay on once you grind some flat surfaces onto the lock. Go slowly! Be Careful not to break or bend the stud! :smash:
Old 08-04-2001, 08:46 PM
a1parrothead
Instructor

I disgree. The "key" may just work on you lug nuts to. I gave mine to a friend, and it worked on his as well as mine.
Old 08-04-2001, 10:38 PM
jbroughton
Racer

I had a set of these on a Jeep a couple years ago (I believe they were from McGard or somebody
like that), and the "key" broke. I had lost the code that would have allowed them to send me a
new one. Called them up, and the guy had me go outside with a magic marker, color the end of
the lug nut with the marker, then hold a piece of paper against it so that the pattern from the
lug nut transferred the same pattern on the paper. I then faxed the paper to them, and they
sent me a new key. Worked like a charm!

I've also heard that custom wheel shops usually have sets of these keys, and can get them off
for you, but I never verified this. Might want to check with a local shop or two.

Hope that helps!
Jeff Broughton
Old 08-04-2001, 11:21 PM
carlmb
Advanced

The easiest way I have found to remove these locks is to overtighten the other 4 lug nuts so you actually compress the face of the rim. Once you have done this, use a 15/16 deep socket (12 point) and tap it over the wheel lock. Usually you can remove the lock with little effort. Good luck.

[Modified by carlmb, 9:22 PM 8/4/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Locking Lug Nut help

Quick Reply: Locking Lug Nut help