C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking Brake Console

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2001, 02:46 AM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Parking Brake Console

I've had it with stupid manufacturers who are completely clueless. Who in their right mind would put a stud with a round head in plastic on the underside of something instead of using a stud with a hexagonal head? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that as soon as you tighten it down it's going to start turning and break loose. :confused: Even silly little speed nuts will break a circle loose without even trying! :mad You know, even after I SPECIFICALLY asked that question before I bought the darn thing.... it came (stud bases hidden under plastic) and tonight I tried to install the thing and 2 of the 6 studs on the underside are broken. ARUGH! I'll be calling them Monday AM with a piece of my mind. :U

OK, so anyone know where to get an NOS or for real GM console? Corvette America's isn't even worth looking at and this one from EC products is a piece of trash now too. :mad Or for that matter, anyone have a clue how to repair a crack in an original one? The crack starts at the back right corner of the brake opening and extends aft and towards the driver's side for about 4 inches. It's made of some hard yellowish molded plastic. ~Juliet
Old 08-05-2001, 04:51 AM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Parking Brake Console (Juliet)

Juliet - I think there was a link in the http://www.corvettefaq.com website about repairing and dyeing/painting cracked or damaged interior pieces. Good luck! :seeya
Old 08-05-2001, 09:53 AM
Go Ravens
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Assuming that this is for your C3, I think the good doctor has the real deal or at least I wager that his part works correctly.
Old 08-05-2001, 10:43 AM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Parking Brake Console (Marks69BB)

THanks guys. I'm crossing my fingers my repair works on the original piece. Fresh coat of paint and it'll be better than any repro. Lesson learned the hard and $$ way! ~Juliet
Old 08-05-2001, 10:53 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

I sent mine back as soon as I got it and put a fiberglass/epoxy patch on the underside of the original to hold a crack together. On the top, where it showed I used a toothpick to apply some epoxy, just enough to fill in the crack. Smoothed it down carefully and primed/painted. Hard to see unless you are really looking.

Those speed nuts are almost worthless even on the stock. I used a little RTV ovet the end after I tightened them down to keep from coming loose.
Old 08-05-2001, 11:22 AM
VetteChick73
Racer

:confused: Hmmmm, maybe I'm confused here. I replaced my parking brake console because it had a few cracks in it. However, it didn't come with any fasteners, so I used the original ones off the old one and had no problems at all. I think I got my console from Corvette Central (??) Did I just get lucky? :rolleyes: :yesnod:
Old 08-05-2001, 02:23 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Parking Brake Console (KenSny)

Ken, that's exactly what I did with mine. It's setting up now. I'll paint it later and reuse the original one. Kymmie, I'm reusing the original hardware. The first one I got was by Corvette America and the studs were angled wrong and spaced wrong so I would have had to slot he metal bracket holes. :U I returned that one. The I got the ECProducts one, but the studs twisted loose. :boxing Thanks for the ideas & letting me vent. :jester
Old 08-05-2001, 05:12 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I went through three Corvette America repros before I got one that even fit somewhat correctly. As I was fitting the console, the front two studs (actually countersunk screws) broke loose. I removed the plastic holding the screws and used fiberglass mat and resin to reattach. So far its working.

After the saga I went through, I highly recommend looking for an NOS or good used console if yours is unrepairable. If it is repairable, DO IT!

I have been VERY disappointed with supposedly high quality interior repro stuff to date.

Mark
Old 08-05-2001, 10:45 PM
69shark
Melting Slicks

Location: Godspeed Mikey Hogsmak Invitational Spring Skyline Drive Corvette Cruise
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Parking Brake Console (mdsmith)

I posted about this a couple of weeks ago and someone mentioned that Dr Rebuild had NOS ones available. I called and found that they were not available any more. I then called Paragon and found a "good" used one. I didn't have one at all to start with. so I've already broken my first repop. I 'll see how the used one looks I guess I'll be painting it also.

Get notified of new replies

To Parking Brake Console

Quick Reply: Parking Brake Console