C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 speed problems .... 1972

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001, 08:45 AM
The Wanderer
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 speed problems .... 1972

I posted this in the factory restore section also, but in case some of you experts don't check there.

Yesterday I tried to put it in reverse and it seemed to go into La-La land you know.... it went into reverse but wouldn't backup. It would try but just bog down. I got it back into first and drove home. Back safely at home in the driveway, it easily went into reverse.
About 6 weeks ago I went on an Arizona cruise (105-110 degrees), while cruising through a little town with lots of stop and go's, I thought the clutch was hot. After the car show, everything seemed fine with the clutch and transmission. The next morning I took it to a garage and they said the clutch was adjusted correctly, but the transmisson grease had lost its viscosity. They changed it, and I had no problems driving the 500 miles + home.

Since I bought the car it has always been touchy about getting it in reverse. The previous owner told me you had to be careful or it would get stuck and you'd have to reach under the car and wiggle the linkage. I'm going to readjust the linkage, but am wondering about the internals of the transmission after having that problem in Arizona. Any suggestions? How did I end up in La-La Land yesterday?

Thanks,
Dick
Old 08-06-2001, 08:54 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: 4 speed problems .... 1972 (The Wanderer)

Dick I can't say anything about the reverse except to say it wouldn't hurt to adjust the levers for all the gears. Secondly, I have never heard of gear lube "losing its viscosity! :bs Maybe others more knowledgeable about oils will pipe in here.

Gary
Old 08-06-2001, 09:16 AM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if your reverse gear has been sitting halfway up the shaft and grinding on the Idler gear. The Helical splines on the shaft usually prevent that, but not if the gear selecter is binding and holding it in position. I would pull it out and rebuild it. It's not as hard as you think. These 4-speeds are cake to rebuild, there is nothing to them.

The other thing might be your shifter. If it's not shifting out of a forward gear or vice-versa when you put it in reverse it will lock the transmission up solid. I Suppose that could account for the feel of the clutch burnging up when you were trying to back up (la la land). I would get the car up on jacks and figure this one out before you drive it any more. Ask Rockn-Roll what happens when your tranny goes into forward and reverse at the same time, it really sucks.

[Modified by Steve Straus, 8:17 AM 8/6/2001]
Old 08-06-2001, 01:40 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Toss that Muncie shifter and get a Hurst. It fits great, feels great and looks great. I love mine. Check out my website and look at mine.
Old 08-06-2001, 05:15 PM
The Wanderer
Melting Slicks

Default Re: 4 speed problems .... 1972 (Paul 75 L82)

Thanks for all your replies. I'll look into a Hurst shifter... where can I get one? The standard Vette sources? I think I'd feel better getting the tranny looked at and rebuilt than taking a chance of it hanging between reverse & first. I have too many road trips planned

Old 08-08-2001, 05:56 AM
The Wanderer
Melting Slicks

I went through the Haynes manual on adjusting the linkage and it is really kind of confusing. It seems to be just describing a generic linkage adjustment bouncing back and forth between a 3 speed and 4 speed. I thought I saw a web page that tells you exactly how to do it right. Does anyone know where it might be?

Thanks
Old 08-08-2001, 11:48 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the Factory Restoration Forum. Your answer is there
Old 08-09-2001, 11:08 PM
bud snyder
Instructor

Wander, I have the same problem in my T-10 sometimes. It's goes in a forward gear & reverse at the same time. It usually happens backing out of the garage, shift to first, but still in reverse. I usually beat the **** out of it shifting through the gears a couple of times with the clutch in and it disengages.
Old 08-09-2001, 11:16 PM
bud snyder
Instructor

Default Re: 4 speed problems .... 1972 (Paul 75 L82)

Paul,
I went to your site. Really nice car! I have a question for you though? Is the shifter handle on yours bent to the right or straight? I agree with you about changing to Hurst shifter is an excellent idea. I installed the fake shifter handle from Ecklers, it looks like a stock Corvette shifter, best of both worlds. Visit my site for picture.
.http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/bud_snyder/

Get notified of new replies

To 4 speed problems .... 1972

Quick Reply: 4 speed problems .... 1972