C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric Fans!!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001, 08:14 PM
C5kid
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Electric Fans!!?!?!?

I was wondering what kinda of performance will be gained by adding an electric fan? Will it cool better is the biggie and how much horse power could be gained? Also how big of an electric fan? And should I put on a pusher or puller? I am sure alot of people wanna ask this and forget like I have been doing and finally remeber now.
Thanx
Dustin :chevy
Old 08-06-2001, 08:28 PM
SwaveDave
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Electric Fans!!?!?!? (DCBStingray)

DCB,

Generally speaking, electric fans are put on to help cool the motor after doing a serious engine buildup , which obviously adds heat to the cooling system. I have read that replacing a constant mechanical fan (without clutch) with an electric fan, is good for 10-20 h.p. As for how big you need , it depends on the how much more heat is being added to the cooling system from a buildup or...if you just want a more effective cooling system for what you have. Use a push type when you are using it in conjunction with the original fan...use a pull type when you are replacing the original fan is my recommendation. You may want to see if Flex A Lite has a website for more info- they are a major manufacturer of electric fans.

SwaveDave :conehead
Old 08-07-2001, 09:08 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SPAL has a dual 11" setup made for the C-3 . It cools my 502 very nicely, and is available from "Be Cool" radiators. Highly recommended.
Old 08-07-2001, 09:53 PM
spikezz4
Pro

This is a popular conversion at the shop I use. Everything we are near a swap area, we look for 90-92 GM Corvette Dual Fans. Once found, the motors in each fan are replaced and the assembly hung on the engine side of the radiator. There is, of course, a little more to it than this. Usually, this conversion also coincides with changing the belts to a serpentine system.

Spike
Old 08-07-2001, 10:42 PM
SwaveDave
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Electric Fans!!?!?!? (spikezz4)

Spike is correct. I have the twin fan assembly off of an 90's LT5 Vette for my 1970 BB. The fans really move the air , and the assembly fit very very well in place and looks q uite custom .

S.D. :bs
Old 08-09-2001, 12:26 AM
robzr
Burning Brakes

I shopped around and found the best deal on the Spal Dual 11" HP fans at http://www.haywireinc.com for $250 with reasonable shipping and excellent service. They also sell relay kits which are of better quality than the Painless ones and much cheaper.

Rob

Get notified of new replies

To Electric Fans!!?!?!?

Quick Reply: Electric Fans!!?!?!?