C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Harness/Engine Harness Connector

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 12:39 AM

Default Starter Harness/Engine Harness Connector

I couldn't find this one archieved anywhere. I'm trying to find the 6 spade wiring harness connector (you know the one that melts and looses contact) that connects the engine harness to the starter ext. harness. I tried Lectric Unlimited (major supplier). They told me I have to buy both the engine harness and the starter harness. Man, that's $265 just to get the plug fixed. Has anyone found a supplier for this plug? Seems like a GM OEM supplier should have this but I haven't found anything yet. :(
Old 08-08-2001, 01:14 AM
Corvettes White
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Re: Starter Harness/Engine Harness Connector (Rayguncol82)

GM has a parts book called something like "Pig Tails." I have never seen the book and it may not have what you are looking for but give it a try.

George
Old 08-08-2001, 08:46 AM
tommelton
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Starter Harness/Engine Harness Connector (999)

I found one end at a local Vette shop, from a used harness, and the white end from a major auto electrical supplier.

They worked for about 6 months, then same exact problem. That was with good connections on all the terminals.

I removed the connectors, used butt connectors that I soldered, heat shrink tubing and replaced the convoluted covering. I did this to prevent being stuck somewhere due to the poor connection. When the starter gets hot, it takes alot of current, and any drop on the signal line for the solenoid and you will not start. Had it happen too many times. Got tired of it, fixed permantly.

Tom Melton
82 CE
86 Z51 Coupe
Old 08-09-2001, 12:55 AM

Default Re: Starter Harness/Engine Harness Connector (tommelton)

TOMMELTON,
I think you have the right idea. I was looking at the starter harness more. It's getting kind of crispy. Summit has some heat resistant wire covering, several different sizes. I believe what you did with the butt splices is great. I'm planning on doing the same and replacing the starter harness wiring and putting on the covering. Between the heat of the exhaust manifold, and a hot start problem you got to do it with the method you chose. I keep hearing this problem is pretty common, another General blunder.
Thanks For the replies guy's
RayGun '82CE :cool:
Old 08-09-2001, 07:01 AM
tommelton
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Starter Harness/Engine Harness Connector (Rayguncol82)

One other thing on the butt connectors, most come with the plastic insulation on them. Since I had planned to use heat shrink tubing over each connector, and to save space, I removed the butt connector from the plastic insulation, leaving just the aluminum connector. I then tinned the wires with solder, inserted them, heated the connector, and crimped it. This way there is a soldered, crimp fit connection. On top of this is the heat shrink tubing, and then the convoluted tubing.

-Tom

Get notified of new replies

To Starter Harness/Engine Harness Connector

Quick Reply: Starter Harness/Engine Harness Connector