C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight staying up

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 09:19 AM
k68vette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight staying up

I am putting off a much needed overhaul of the vacuum system and have been getting by with manually opening the headlights. They both used to drop when I turned the lights off. I now have one that will not go down. Any tips on getting it to drop?

My excuse for not doing the whole system is the usual culprit of time. I have found that a 2 year old combined with a 2 month old is a fun combination, especially when you have an old house, an old car and an old lady.
Old 08-08-2001, 10:28 AM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Headlight staying up (k68vette)

Hey from Clearwater Florida. :seeya I see you live in Horsham, PA. I went to H.S. at Upper Dublin. Graduated the same year my car was made :D :D . I'm assuming your car is a 68. Does it have one vaccum relay or two? The later models had two, and if such, I would think it could be the vaccum relay. If not, check the springs to make sure they are attached properly. I had to do the same thing you've been doing. I finally fixed the seals on my actuators and I'm SO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O happy I finally did it. There's nothing like getting stuck in a rain storm and just pulling that switch. :D
Old 08-08-2001, 11:05 AM
k68vette
Cruising

Default Re: Headlight staying up (79MakoL82)

Wow, a cross town rival graduate. I went to Wissahickon and got out a little later, in 87. Thanks for the reply. Looks like I am going to have to start the overhaul sooner than I expected. Front suspension rebuild and paint were next on the list but this car has a way of calling the shots if you know what I mean.
Old 08-08-2001, 11:14 AM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know exactly what you mean. Another thing, if the springs are fine, check the vaccum hoses between the relay and the headlight that won't go down. They could be cracked or no longer attached (mine can be pulled right off the relay. They have no clamp). If you have a early model with one relay, I would think that the springs or the vaccum hoses between the relay and the light are the most likely culprit (because the other light is still going down), also cheap and easy to fix. The relay is the most expensive thing to replace.
Old 08-08-2001, 04:51 PM
jonny4523
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

So you can get them up just fine but have problems with them going down? wow, mine wont even go up. :mad When I bring them up manually and push that one **** inside that holds them there, they stay up like they are supposed to. and when I pull that **** back out, the left list goes down and the about a minute later the right one goes down. I wish that mine would rise on command. :cry
Old 08-08-2001, 05:04 PM
k68vette
Cruising

Default Re: Headlight staying up (jonny4523)

I was looking for a quick fix to get me through the remainder of the PA driving season. I will probably end up overhauling the entire system and clean up the engine compartment at the same time.

jonny4523, my owners manual instructs to PULL the **** out to have them go up/stay up. (without turning on the lights at the parking/headlight switch) You may need some VetteViagara
Old 08-08-2001, 06:54 PM
The Wanderer
Melting Slicks

I was having the same problem with mine, plus ... one would just pop up by itself while driving. I found I had a small vacuum leak from the wiper door actuator arm. I order the actuator repair kit for both headlights and the wiper door. I replaced the wiper door actuator seal and all my problems went away. I'd check the seals around all the actuator rods. I'd bet you will find one or more leaking. The seal replacement is real easy on the wiper door, a little more complicated on the headlight actuators. I have links for repairs on both if you need them.
Old 08-08-2001, 11:57 PM
jonny4523
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default Re: Headlight staying up (The Wanderer)

I had bought two new seals for them a while ago and then when I went to put them on, I found out that the old seals where working just fine. So I know that isn't the problem. And my Vette doesn't have a vacuum powered wiper door. Do you think that a complete vacuum hose kit would do the trick?

k68vette, I knew that you pulled/pushed it one way or another to do it. I just didn't remember at the time. :crazy:
Old 08-09-2001, 07:39 AM
The Wanderer
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Headlight staying up (jonny4523)

Try these two links first ... check the things on the first link. It might just be a bad check valve.

http://members.home.net/awsvette/vacuum.htm

If you need to do more.....

http://zip-corvette.com/has2.htm

Well ... the rubber hoses are 25 years old ... wouldn't hurt to replace them also.
Old 08-09-2001, 08:42 AM
k68vette
Cruising

Default Re: Headlight staying up (The Wanderer)

Thank you Wanderer. Great diagram and explanations. Printed everything out and will pick up the vacuum gauge this weekend. Will also replace the hoses. Thanks again!

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight staying up

Quick Reply: Headlight staying up