C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What determines the year of a vehicle???

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 01:01 PM
mwooldridge
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What determines the year of a vehicle???

I was wondering what determines the year of a vechicle? Say someone gets a 1978 frame and puts a 1972 body on the frame with a newer crate motor. What year is the vehicle?

Does it still go by the vin on the body, the frame, the engine, block, etc.

Thanks,
Old 08-08-2001, 01:07 PM
Leos 81
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What determines the year of a vehicle??? (mwooldridge)

I'm not sure if this is up for debate, but it seems that most people go by the frame. Some people mod the body to look like another year, but still claim that it is the year of the frame. I can't remember who, but I know someone on this forum has a white modified C2 that looks like a C3, but he still considers it a C2 and I think that would be the correct way to judge it.
Old 08-08-2001, 01:12 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: What determines the year of a vehicle??? (Leos 81)

I respectfully disagree. Some people change frames the way you or I would change an air filter (well, maybe not quite). If the old one is rusted beyond repair, they just slip in a new one (could easily be from another year) and off they go. I think if you preserve the visible vinplate - driver's (whoops!) side windshield - then that determines your model year no matter what you do to the rest of the car. That would be my opinion. MJ

[Modified by MNJack, 11:15 AM 8/8/2001]
Old 08-08-2001, 01:44 PM
Leos 81
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What determines the year of a vehicle??? (MNJack)

MNJack, I can appreciate your point of view and don't necessarily disagree. That also makes sense, but what if you piece the car together with body parts from all years. Considering some of the tasteless mods we've all seen, I wouldn't put it past anyone. How many times have we seen someone say that their Vette is a '74 or whatever, but they have the '80-'82 front and back bumber, a fast back rear window, an after-market hood, etc.?
Old 08-08-2001, 01:48 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: What determines the year of a vehicle??? (Leos 81)

I think Vin number is a good indication...............sorry I can't be more of a help
Old 08-08-2001, 02:46 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 381 Likes on 267 Posts

Default Re: What determines the year of a vehicle??? (MNJack)

I agree, and I think the C-2 that was refered to is Highly modified, he can register anyway he wants, since he has so much time and energy in it
I respectfully disagree. Some people change frames the way you or I would change an air filter (well, maybe not quite). If the old one is rusted beyond repair, they just slip in a new one (could easily be from another year) and off they go. I think if you preserve the visible vinplate - driver's (whoops!) side windshield - then that determines your model year no matter what you do to the rest of the car. That would be my opinion. MJ

[Modified by MNJack, 11:15 AM 8/8/2001]
Old 08-08-2001, 02:49 PM
Tex71BB
Burning Brakes

Gotta be the VIN - you can change the frame and all body panels and the DMV still goes by the VIN plate.
Old 08-08-2001, 02:57 PM
mwooldridge
Instructor

Default Re: What determines the year of a vehicle??? (Tex71BB)

Thanks, I really appreciate all of the responses.

I guess the next question on this subject, is what might be involved if the VIN plate happened to be lost and not preserved, to get the vehicle registered again?

Mark Wooldridge

Status - started putting the vette&brake product max performance suspension package on the frame. The rebuilt pumpkin, and halfshafts, new SS calipers and sport brake upgrade should be in soon.

Old 08-08-2001, 02:58 PM
jimduchek
Racer

Default Re: What determines the year of a vehicle??? (Tex71BB)

This is slightly OT -- but interesting. I read the rules once for model-years -- apparently at least _one_ car has to be produced in the given year, and a given year can only be produced on two consecutive January 2nd's.. For example, the 2002 model years could be produced from January 3rd, 2001 through January 1st, 2004. Course, noone runs them that long, but that's the longest possible stretch

Jim

Old 08-08-2001, 03:06 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

I would think it would be what the title matches and hopefully the title will match the VIN. If the VIN on the body is different then the VIN on the title, you have problems.

tom...
Old 08-08-2001, 03:22 PM
stickboy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think it goes off title which should match the VIN, but if the orignal title is missing some states will issue a new VIN/reconstructed title and I would guess that process varied from state to state.
Old 08-08-2001, 05:06 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you will find that about the only thing the government casres about is the vin number.

A perfect example that proves the frame is not the driving force. Your car is hit and you replace the entire body including the windshield pillars from a donor car. That windshield pillar has a vin on it. If you did not get permission from the state (which you need to modify a Vin plate) and you have the vin that came fromthe donor car, you better have the title for the donor car as well ,because your car is now the donor car.

The VIN is everything so far as the government goes. Think about it, there is no quick and easy way to determine the origin of a frame, and if it is original to your car or not. Registrations lists only the VIN, Title lists only the VIN.

They have special rules for kit cars and how they are determined and I am sure but there are probably rules for complete body/vin swaps. Generally you are not allowed to remove, modify or even reapply the vin without their approval.
Old 08-08-2001, 06:18 PM
The Wanderer
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What determines the year of a vehicle??? (fauxrs)

I don't know about you guys/gals ... but this topic kind of bothers me. If I were a thief, I'm wondering if I could get ideas from this thread. For instance, I buy an old sh*t-box Vette and get the title. Then, I go out and steal a cherry Vette, chop the windshield frame on both and put my sh*t-box windshield frame on the cherry Vette and I have a legal Vette with a title.

:mad :mad :mad of course I don't have a matching number car any longer, but I got a cherry Vette real cheap.
Old 08-08-2001, 06:30 PM
mwooldridge
Instructor

Default Re: What determines the year of a vehicle??? (Ed T)

I never thought of the question being thought of that way. I should have just ask the more straight foreward question and find out what I may be able to do with my rebuild process to not be required to have emissions controls without totally breaking all of the laws and still maybe be able to sell the vehicle if I need to.

Obvioiusly if I am not worried about the emission laws, I just won't put any on and not worry about it, since my county does not require emission inpsections at this time. I also think that after 25 years I can apply for antique plates which do not even need inpsections and last as long as I own the vehicle.

As some of the others have commented about customizing the car. It would seem at some point the car is just not the same or even close to original in chasis, body, etc. and should it still be considered the original model year. Can you customize/modify the car to a point that model year does not apply anymore?

Thanks for all who responded, and I did not intend to develop a discussion on what one can do to hide a stolen vette.

Thanks again.
Old 08-08-2001, 06:37 PM
mwooldridge
Instructor

Thanks Ed T. I am not worried about the numbers thing. I am building the car using the best technology I can afford to put on it. I want it to last and I want to have fun with it. Powder coating the chasis and components, Vette&Brake Product Max. Performance Suspension package, there SS brake kit w/ss lines, the Sport Brake upgrade kit with slotted rotors and hawk pads and VanSteel is rebuilding the TA with offset ones and rebuilding the pumpkin and upgrading the side yokes and gears to 3.73 and powder coating the drive train components silver.

As I said, I want a solid car when I am done.

Thanks

I do have the original title from PA where I bought the car and the body is in decent shape but does not to be worked a bit. Wasn't going to change the looks much since I like the basic C3 look.
Old 08-08-2001, 06:45 PM
Lohkay
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: What determines the year of a vehicle??? (fauxrs)

But how would they know? You could have a '78, get the vin off a scraped '70 and put it on your '78 and never worry about emmisions again. Who would know and even take the time to verify that?
Old 08-08-2001, 07:10 PM
76Pitter
Racer

The year of a vehicle is judged solely on its VIN. It is a criminal offence to remove, alter or tamper with a VIN plate. Homebuilt vehicles can be issued a VIN by your local Department of Motor Vehicles however if you showed up with a production car with parts from different years the DMV would have you jumping through hoops before you could register it and no doubt you would be receiving a visit from the local police wanting to look at the hidden VIN numbers on the other parts. On the flip side, the DMV has always been guilty of registering vehicle far too easily that show up with a valid VIN, even if it was a parted out stolen auto.
Old 08-08-2001, 11:06 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

my 73 sits on a 68 frame......i still say its a 73 vin does too its only the vin that matters....my frame was rotted beyond repair so i slipped another one under it with all my suspension and body and what not...
Old 08-08-2001, 11:22 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: What determines the year of a vehicle???

This is even more off topic but I feel I have information to share here. One of the guys at work has a Harley. I think the engine is of 1987 vintage and the frame is some custom job. There is parts on it from everything. His registration states it as a homebuilt but I also think it shows the engine number. Very confusing :confused:

Get notified of new replies

To What determines the year of a vehicle???

Quick Reply: What determines the year of a vehicle???