C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Original Miles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 01:26 AM
tnkrenfro
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Original Miles?

When you see 'original miles' in a car classified, what exactly does that meen. Is it the number of miles since the car was built or since the restoration or since the engine was rebuilt? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-09-2001, 02:16 AM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Original Miles? (tnkrenfro)

It should mean since the car was built. And not a different cars odometer.
Old 08-09-2001, 04:59 AM
a smith
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does not mean a damn thing.It does not even imply a damn thing.It is the second most misused phrase in car ads.Ask ten people what it means or implys and you will get ten different answers.People say it like it is something special.I equiate it with the guy that kicks tires.He does not even know why he does it, but he saw someone else do it so he does too.The most misused phrase in car sales is "it,s all original".There is a person on this forum that advises that his car is "all original".I took a look at his home page.The valve covers on his engine are not correct,neither is the manifold,carb, or air cleaner.The air pump, hoses and check valves are missing.The paint is not original.So what part of ALL is it that I do not get?People will say anything to make their car sound more special or worth more money.The only question is do you believe what they say and will you pay more for it. :eek:
Old 08-09-2001, 09:41 AM
virtue4u
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have always wondered the same thing. It could only make sense if it means "original owner miles."
Old 08-09-2001, 09:43 AM
rrent
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always gone with the number of miles driven since new - however, when you are dealing with 20+ year old cars it has little bearing on the condition of the car. An ex-drag car that was trailered to 1/4 mile blasts might have few miles - while my '77 has had extensive work done - all after the odometer hit 100K.

When buying an old Vette if you can find and afford an un-restored "low" mile original go for it - but, even a rarely driven vehicle will have its share of problems related to sitting stored for years.

good luck
Ronnie
Old 08-09-2001, 10:19 AM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 381 Likes on 267 Posts

Default Re: Original Miles? (rrent)

In fact most trailer queens have more mechanical problems than cars driven regularly, have you seen some of the cars in the MId America High Mileage club, they look brand new, because they are taken care of.
I've always gone with the number of miles driven since new - however, when you are dealing with 20+ year old cars it has little bearing on the condition of the car. An ex-drag car that was trailered to 1/4 mile blasts might have few miles - while my '77 has had extensive work done - all after the odometer hit 100K.

When buying an old Vette if you can find and afford an un-restored "low" mile original go for it - but, even a rarely driven vehicle will have its share of problems related to sitting stored for years.

good luck
Ronnie
Old 08-09-2001, 10:24 AM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was car hunting and saw that in an ad from a car I was interested in, I'd make the point of asking the owner if that means the first or second or third time around on the odometer. :D :D :jester

When they wrote numbers matching, I'd ask them which numbers on which components and if it's the "original engine". Usually I'd get the huh? By the time I asked what the carb & coil and distributor numbers were they usually were saying "NO, I don't think you'd be interested in this car" and trying to talk ME out of it! :D
Old 08-09-2001, 03:23 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Re: Original Miles? (Juliet)

lol. Too funny Juliet. Did you just call to pester them??? :jester
Old 08-09-2001, 03:28 PM
Tim80
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always thought that it meant the total miles since the car was originally built. Now when I hear the term little flags are raised inside my head. :bs :bs :bs Some people are now using the term for mileage after a rebuild. :mad
Old 08-09-2001, 03:29 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Original Miles? (Juliet)

Juliet ...................U are toooooo funny

lmao :D
Old 08-09-2001, 03:42 PM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Original Miles? (ddecart)

Did you just call to pester them???
Who? :blueangel: ME? :blueangel:

No, I was seriously looking for corvettes. That was just one on my loooooong list of questions. Did I tell you about the time my brother went to look at a yellow C4 for me? He got there and got me on the cell phone. Poor kid's batteries almost ran out before I was done with the questions. :p:

Get notified of new replies

To Original Miles?

Quick Reply: Original Miles?