C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 07:37 PM
Ship1
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioning

I have a '73 that came with AC but didn't work. Fan would not engage, so I trashed it. Now, 12 years later it has ocurred to myself (and my wife) that AC would be a nice thing to have to get more use from the car.

Two questions: Any idea of what it would cost to install AC? Can I buy a used system off of any year or should I go with new?

[Modified by Ship1, 5:38 PM 8/9/2001]
Old 08-09-2001, 09:02 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Air Conditioning (Ship1)

I am not an expert on AC but have gained some knowledge investigating and eventually getting mine repaired. The years up to mid-year 76 have a different compressor than the earlier cars. If you still have the brackets for yours you will need the early style compressor which I am told are better anyway. The price really depends on what you still have and what "modifications" you did removing it. I can tell you that this will be expensive. If you go good quality rebuilt parts and need just the compressor, accumulator/drier and hoses and have someone install and fill the system with R-134 you are talking $800+ give or take depending on the costs in your area. This does not include the fan repair if that is shot. Perhaps someone on the forum has a system that is in good shape that they are willing to part with?
Old 08-09-2001, 11:02 PM
jeffnles1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Air Conditioning (R. Bruno)

I'm getting mine fixed now. The 800+ number is about right. Compressor 200, VIR/Drier system 103 (from forum mall/zip), new hose - 122, r134A conversion kit 35, labor - more than I care to count. So far, it's been in the shop 3 days. The hose they ordered was for the 2nd version in 1976. half way through the year, GM went to a different compressor. Mine has the old style. The hoses they ordered were for the "newer" style. Now, they have to order different hoses or I have to get them from Zip if their parts house doesn't have the right ones. At this point, I'll be lucky to get my car back before it gets cold enough outside to use the heater. :U

My advice if you decide to fix it is be patient and don't ask how much it's going to cost, it'll make you cry :cry

If I'm lucky, the AC will end up costing something less than I paid for the car... However, I'm already into it now and can't turn back.

Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To Air Conditioning

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning