C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Competence of GM Dealers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 08:05 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Competence of GM Dealers?

In another post you may have noted that I took my 1979 in for a four-wheel alignment today. The mechanics were set to do the job when the +40 Shop Supervisior grabbed the rear wheels and checked for play. Right rear had 1/2 to 3/4" up-down movement. Diagnosis was deteriorating wheel bearing. He said they would try to adjust it. I said fine. One hour later he came back to me and admitted sheepishly that they do not have manuals for a 1979 Corvette. OK :crazy: I went home and brought back my Helm's. The mechanic proceeded to read all he could very quickly about rear wheel bearings. Lot of head-scratching going on. Never did figure out how to adjust it; blamed a "pressure seal." OK, back to the older fellow. Said I need a bearing kit. That was ordered from GM USA. Bring car back in about 5 days and bring the Helm's manual with you. Will do bearing job for 5 hours labour. I was not charged today although they fooled about with the car for about two hours. Reflecting on my day this evening I must admit that I am appalled! Does GM not require its mechanics/technicians to be capable of handling older cars? I really hesitate to go back for the bearing work. Do I need to furnish them with Van Steel instructions. I play on words with mechanic and technician but D&*% I wish some mechanics were still in business :smash:. GM should be ashamed!

[Modified by paul79, 9:02 PM 8/9/2001]
Old 08-09-2001, 08:36 PM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Competence of GM Dealers? (paul79)

Wow, Paul, if I were you I'd take the bearing assemblies out and send them to Bair's or Van Steel! Maybe you can trust the GM dealer to take care of your Impala, but not your Vette!

I took my car to the dealer once, to do the following:

1. Replace the rear main seal.

2. Fix a power steering leak.

3. Solve a cold start problem.

Job 1, I believe was done right.

Job 2: They "rebuilt" the power steering system, but the leaks never stopped.

Job 3: The choke coil had been disconnected by the previous owner. However, they said it was pointless to try to re-activate the choke. They said it was never going to operate correctly, because I have headers, and the best solution they could come up with was to replace the carb by a 1980 carb, with electric choke, which would cost something outrageous, such as $800-900.

They also did other things without my request:

Job 4: They left my car outside, overnight, with the windows open.

Job 5: The car came with a scratch on the front bumper. Well, I thought it was only a scratch, but now I've realized that they actually cracked the bumper!

No more Chevy dealer for me... :(

-Pedro
Old 08-09-2001, 09:10 PM
ppinto
Heel & Toe

When I was putting poly bushings in my old control arms, I brought the arms to the local Chevy dealer after I removed them. I needed the bushings pressed out.

I was standing beside the guy doing the work on the press. He'd never pressed out bushings before..... He gave it a couple of go-rounds, and only succeeded in bending the arms with the press. I was not allowed to help, of course. I'm not sure if they ever went back completely into the proper shape again!

The next day, I brought them to a friend's place of business where a 20 ton press was. We had the bushings out in about 20 minutes. I decided never to go back to the GM dealer.

I am, however, real big in GM Performance Parts. The Performance Parts dealers who advertise in the mags and list themselves on the GM website are very knowledgeable about the offerings and extremely helpful over the phone.

About the electric choke.... I had headers on my car when I got it, but still had the stock intake manifold and quadrajet. My '76 had a rod going from the choke to a plate mounted on the intake. I'm assuming that heat rising up the rod made the choke open. It seemed to work very well. I do, however, think that the heat stove from the stock manifold would help with very cold weather initial running.
Old 08-09-2001, 09:12 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Why we should believe that because a guy has a Mr. Goodwrench shirt on he knows about a 30 year old car that was built by what was practically a different company is beyond me, but i must admit I have come close to falling into the same trap. Pedro is spot on in my opinion.
Old 08-09-2001, 10:49 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: Competence of GM Dealers? (R. Bruno)

In this day and age with our technologically advanced capabilities, a C3 shop manual with alignment and bearing specs should be on-line. A customer should not need to furnish a shop manual. But I grant you that 95% of business is Cavaliers and the like with fault code-reading the norm. So you have a good point. Doesn't make me any happier but you are probably correct.
Old 08-09-2001, 11:01 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

I ran into similar situations at Ford dealers with some old Mustang's I used to own. I never brought a Vette into the GM dealer because I suspected the same thing.
Old 08-09-2001, 11:16 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: Competence of GM Dealers? (Pedro'74)

Pedro, there you go. What does this thermal/divorced choke set-up have to do with headers:bs ? It is on the intake manifold:crazy:. And $800-990:boxing? BTW, I would go with a Bair or Van Steel replacement but I want to drive this summer. We are only four weeks away from possible frost warnings :eek:.

Get notified of new replies

To Competence of GM Dealers?

Quick Reply: Competence of GM Dealers?