C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a little purchasing advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2001, 05:20 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Need a little purchasing advice

As many of you know, my 76 was totalled and I am STILL waiting for the insurance settlement to come through. I should have between 9-13K to work with.

I've decided to remain a C3er :D :D And actually try to get a chrome bumper C3 if I can.

The question is, am I better off buying something for 13K that needs only a little work (Tough to find a good one that only needs a little) or should I get a project for 7-8K, and throw the rest of the money into it?

I do want to work on it myself, but am not into redoing the body, frame etc. I would love to get a solid frame car with suspension and good body for 5-6K and then buy a crate engine and transmission for it with the rest. The problem is that I then couldn't afford to restore the interior or paint.

I have a feeling that I'll be looking for a while if I want something perfect in my price range.

PLEASE HELP! Thanks
Old 08-10-2001, 05:28 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Need a little purchasing advice (phoenix)

I'd say that you're best off buying the nicest car you can afford. In my opinion you'll always end up putting more money into a project than you will to get an equivalent car already in comparable condition.

Shannon
Old 08-10-2001, 05:37 PM
Steve Grodin
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy as much car as you can for the amount of money you have to spend.
Old 08-10-2001, 05:40 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Yes, buy the nicest car you can afford. Projects can break you quick.
Old 08-10-2001, 07:33 PM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Need a little purchasing advice (Ed T)

Thanks guys, I know that the grand aspirations of rebuilding one from the ground up is an expensive prospect and one that I am not ready for.

I guess that since this is my "fun" car, I should get one that is as good as I can afford so that I don't play catch up just getting to a point that I am happy with it.

I've done the complete interior once, so I'm not afraid of doing that again. The hardest part is finding on that has a straight body that doesn't need repainting.

Keep an eye out for one for me.
Old 08-10-2001, 07:49 PM
The Wanderer
Melting Slicks

Buy the very best Vette you can for the $$$$$$'s you have. Leave the junkers for the Ebay buyers :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Old 08-10-2001, 08:53 PM
bamavettes
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Need a little purchasing advice (The Wanderer)

Rule of thumb is buy the best your money can buy. There is more than plenty enough to be done on a 30-35 yr old car.
I have been the restro route a few times. The last time was my last time. No more.

Old 08-10-2001, 11:51 PM
majglc
Racer

I also think you should buy the best you can afford. It's usually cheaper in the long run.
Old 08-11-2001, 01:22 AM
Jim-K
Racer

Default Re: Need a little purchasing advice (majglc)

Buy the best you can, i bought my 78 for 3.5K, interior thrashed, brakes gone, straight, paint fair, engine questionable... nice wheels, and i started work on it. I redid the brakes, (everyting new), the interior.. (everything new), rebuilt the suspension, headlights... steering.. stereo.. I'm still going, want side pipes, paint it, engine... the list goes on...

Dont get me wrong, i love my 78, and dig tinkering on it, but what frusterated me the most was that i've had this car for a year now, and expect probably 2 more years to do all the stuff i want to to it, and have logged maybe 20 miles on it since i've had it. Even that was not much of a blast because, well it still isn't all done.

I was ready to get a zz4 for it, side pipes, and do the engine compartment but pricing that was turning into about 7-8 k plues the unknowns... I would get those parts (wait weeks for most of them), have a ton of work to do, and still be vetteless.... :cry

So i bought the 86 instead. It's a C4 ok, but still a vette. It satisfied my daily driver vette urge, and now i'm able to continue on the 78 (my favorite) without getting all bummed out about it.

So my next project will either be paint or engine, and my 86 says "My other car is a Corvette" on the liscense plate :D

So if you are considering getting a fixerupper, consider getting two Otherwise find the best darn c3 you can find for all your money, you can do all the extras to it later when the cash is around.

Good luck, and sympathies for your last vette....

Jim-K

Old 08-11-2001, 09:33 AM
Project76
Instructor

Why don't you buy my 76 for $3500 that runs, has a good interior, good driveline, good brakes, good wheels, just needs a little cosmetic help. You can take your insurance settlement and pay someone to paint it if you are afraid of painting and still make a profit.
Old 08-11-2001, 11:15 AM
phoenix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Need a little purchasing advice (Project76)

Thanks for all the advice. I think that I will get the best that I can... when I finally get a number from them.

Then I'd love to do a 6 speed swap

I just have a love for the manual transmission and now that I have a choice, I think that a chrome bumper would be cool too. Now to find one that doesn't need too much in my price range :D

Get notified of new replies

To Need a little purchasing advice

Quick Reply: Need a little purchasing advice