C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hooker sidepipe muffler replacement?anybody do it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 08:55 AM
techrondon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hooker sidepipe muffler replacement?anybody do it?

hooker makes glasspack and reverse flow muffler insert replacements for thier 4" sidepipes..has anybody tried replacing these ?? much of a project? how do they fasten in ?? do they go in from the front or the rear ??
am considering doing this instead of buying all new sidepipes...
Old 08-11-2001, 03:10 PM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: hooker sidepipe muffler replacement?anybody do it? (techrondon)

Talk to JCL on this forum about his spiral baffles for these pipes. 100% improvement over Hooker inserts! :chevy

[Modified by MassVette, 1:10 PM 8/11/2001]
Old 08-11-2001, 07:45 PM
techrondon
Instructor

i posted a new topic to jcl on this,,hope i get more info...
Old 08-12-2001, 09:41 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chuck Harmon has posted a sound file of his L-88 with JCL baffles in his Hooker sidepipes-check it out. :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 08-12-2001, 10:02 AM
Bubba65
Intermediate

Default Done it once

I pulled them out of the Hookers on my '63 many years ago. They had only been on the car a few months. The insert has to come out the front of the sidepipe. You've got to spread the sidepipe clamp open and free it up from the collector. it slides over the collector a good 3 or 4 inches. Get some KANO "Crawling Oil". It's the best penetrant that I've found. You will still need to beat & fram on the sidepipe to drive it off. Anticipate some metal straightening afterwards.

The insert is "slip fit" in the side pipe, held by the two cone shaped ends (the middle of the insert does not touch the sidepipe). Stand it up with the front facing the ground. Bang it down on a piece of wood and eventually the insert will work its way to the end. (more straightening)

The Hooker inserts are 36" long. The inside is only about 2" in diamater. They cause a lot of restriction. I removed mine, cut them in half, and rewelded new cone shaped ends. That opened up the exhaust so much, I had to rejet the carburetor. If you can find a freer flowing insert, go for it. BTW, I ran mine without inserts for a while. Conversations in the car were impossible. Store windows vibrated and everyone at the intersection rolled up their windows when I stopped at a light. But, I drownded the boom boxes on wheels!!!

Get notified of new replies

To hooker sidepipe muffler replacement?anybody do it?

Quick Reply: hooker sidepipe muffler replacement?anybody do it?