C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

U-Joint Help! 5sp conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 11:12 PM
TCTBBB
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U-Joint Help! 5sp conversion

I finally got started installing my Richmondgear 5sp. The transmission yoke is a turbo 400 and the drive shaft is for a manual meaning the u-joint should have large diameter ends x small diameter ends. Length is different too. :confused: Does anyone have a part number for a u-joint that adapts an automatic to a 4sp. The local part store guy didn't have a catalog listing for a u-joint with different ends. All 4 were either large dia or small dia. I got the tranny and yoke from Summit. I'll have to wait untill Monday to talk to their tech people.
Old 08-12-2001, 03:54 AM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: U-Joint Help! 5sp conversion (TCTBBB)

You need a "criss cross" u joint. Turbo 400 takes larger diameter u joint than manual drive shaft. A criss cross uses both. Get a heavy duty one made by Spicer, or equivalent. Make sure you don't have to shorten the length of the yoke for the 5 speed like you do for the 6 speed. If you don't, you may destroy your speedometer gear.

Chuck
Old 08-12-2001, 12:11 PM
TheOman
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: U-Joint Help! 5sp conversion (Chuck Harmon)

If you use the yoke from a BW T-10 4 speed equipped car the length is A-OK with the stock drive shaft. I did that on my Midyear Richmond 5 Speed conversion. If you use the Chevelle or passenger TH 400 yoke you loose the ability to disconnect the yoke from the drive shaft. I suspect that makes things more complicated at clutch replacement time.
Old 08-12-2001, 02:08 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

TCTBBB,
If you can please post or e-mail me everything you had to do for this swap. I am thinking about installing a 5 speed in my 71 but want to know all the pitfalls and problems you have encountered. If you have a list of parts need that would be great also. Where did you get the transmission?
Thanks
John
Old 08-12-2001, 02:55 PM
TCTBBB
Intermediate

Default Re: U-Joint Help! 5sp conversion (theandies)

Thanks for the help so far. I figured there must be a u-joint with different dia ends or a criss cross. Okay, I went to Kragen's they weren't much help. I'll bet Summit has what I need.

Chuck, aren't you taking your car to the track soon(Laguna Seca or Sears Point?). I'd like to see it.

When I'm done I'll post all the part numbers and the sketch of the bracket mount mods from the Richmondgear manual.
Old 08-12-2001, 03:58 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

What you're looking for is a transition U-Joint. A better place to look for one is a automotive machine shop or a driveshaft shop. Another good place to look are speed shops. Kragen's or Pep Boy's aren't "REAL" parts stores, but unfortunately they are pretty typical to what you can find now days.
I'm pretty lucky the Advanced Auto Parts near my home has a fellow over 50 who knows about cars. He will really dig looking for parts for my car.
Old 08-12-2001, 04:10 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

TCTBBB,

Call South Bay Driveline, Inc., 573 W. Julian St. in San Jose (across street from San Jose Arena) (408) 995-6000 They have the heavy duty criss cross u joints. They can also have the yoke cut down if you need to Excellent shop and great guys! They ended up making me a new stronger drive shaft instead of adapting mine to it. Cost $188. With 500+ pounds of torque, I didn't want to take the cheap route and regret it later.

Yes, I do hope to take the car to Laguna Seca and/or Sears Point to play. I can hardly wait to do so!

Chuck
Old 08-12-2001, 04:39 PM
TCTBBB
Intermediate

Default Re: U-Joint Help! 5sp conversion (Smokehouse69Mark2)

The demise of the classic speed shop. There is only one left in the area where I live and it is not that close. I used to have a rule of only talking to countermen who were older than me and understood hotrodding. Now I'm in my 40's and I know more about car parts (at least corvettes) than most of the guys at the parts counter.

The sad thing is that this is common in the retail industry these days. Have you ever gone to the grocery store and asked which herb or vegetable is which and the clerk couldn't tell you. Or go to the record store and ask about the latest Jazz or Blues release from a popular artist from that genre and the cleck says "How should I know" turns around and walks away without helping you. I'd be embarrased to work in a place and not know about the product I was selling. I have found, however, the mail order guys to be pretty knowledgable. In my dealings with BMW and various Vette suppliers they generally know what is going on. Oops I got off track a bit didn't I.:sleep:

Anyway, I'll check out a drive line shop near my work and they should be able to help if Summit doesn't have the part.
Old 08-12-2001, 04:43 PM
TCTBBB
Intermediate

Thanks Chuck, I'll call them tomorrow.
Old 08-12-2001, 11:00 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: U-Joint Help! 5sp conversion (theandies)

Before launching into the R5sp, check out the 4 speeds from TexRacing. Their wide ratio with a low (numerically) rear end will probably do what you want at lower cost and less brain damage for mods and custom work.
Old 08-12-2001, 11:07 PM
Stingy74
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted this some time ago for somebody else, maybe you could find use of it as well.
Old 08-13-2001, 12:44 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 882 Likes on 767 Posts

Default spicer 5-134x or trw 20056

mine is mated to a 32 spline Turbo 400 output yoke (3930827)

Get notified of new replies

To U-Joint Help! 5sp conversion

Quick Reply: U-Joint Help! 5sp conversion