C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Puzzler

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2001, 04:39 PM
a57packrat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Puzzler

My '75 has a leak in the Power Steering System. I'll fill the resevior and within a week, the fluid has leaked out ( I'm thinking the Control Valve was not installed correctly or was over greased). The puzzler is that the system makes no noise typical with a low Fluid Level condition. The steering has the same feel, regardless of the fluid level. I've had cars in the past where the Power sterring pump will scream when the fluid gets low, but not this car. Any thoughts... :confused:
Old 08-12-2001, 05:05 PM
lyonsh
Drifting

Default Re: Power Steering Puzzler (a57packrat)

I'd guess the vanes on your pump are REAL worn. It's either them or the bearing that usually makes the noise. Things have to be verrry dry for the bearing to squeal.

But just a guess...
Old 08-12-2001, 07:51 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

This happened to me several times, and I remember a post just like yours about a year ago. I never solved my leak and just rebuilt the entire system. Not a single drop on the garage floor these days! The vette powersteering system was primitive even when new. Just a good ol fashion rebuild is the key.

Regards,

Jim
Old 08-13-2001, 12:46 AM
Michael Mustac
Intermediate

Your best bet is to rebuild the contol arm and control valve. Get the rebuild kits and Chiltons Manuel...it's pretty straight forward and simple. While your at it replace the hoses. I had the same problem and an afternoons works cleared it up. Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Power Steering Puzzler

Quick Reply: Power Steering Puzzler