C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header leaks!!! help me make it stop

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2001, 12:48 AM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Header leaks!!! help me make it stop

Headers have been on for two weeks now and I'm already tired of the header leaks, tried the local part store cheapo gaskes and some Mr.Gasket copper gaskets, I think the cheapos did better but both leakes pretty bad under any sort of accelleration. Before i throw more money at another set of gaskets I thought I'd ask for some helpfull advice from all of the other vette addicts that may have dealt with this problem.

:cheers:
Pat Kunz
Old 08-12-2001, 01:53 AM
xfactor974
Pro

Default Re: Header leaks!!! help me make it stop (73 LS-4)

hey man i have the same problem with my hooker super comps. i'm thinking of switching to percy's seal 4 good. They are expensive but I think they will do the trick :cheers:
Old 08-12-2001, 01:56 AM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Hello Pat,

This subject has been beaten to death but I will be happy to give you my 2 cents based upon personal experience.

First off I don't know the header mfg you are using but I can tell you that some of these mfg make real crap that are very hard to get sealed up. If you are using some of the new copper gaskets that is a good start. I would look at the flanges on the headers to make sure that they are even across the mounting surface to the heads. I have seen guys grind down uneven surfaces on headers with great results. The fix that has worked for me twice without fail is using stage 8 locking faseners. Headers leak when the bolts comes loose. With the stage 8 locking fasteners you set them and forget them. They are a great product and not very expensive. I have also had buddies use the ARP header bolts with great success. Hope this helps give you some ideas. Best wishes
Old 08-12-2001, 02:02 AM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

A few other things to look at.
1-Undo the headers at the collector.
2-Then tighten the header bolts to the head from the middle out.
3-Once retightened, check your fit-up at the collector. Sometiimes misallignment there strains the headerbolts.

I forget the brand name. But I bought aluminum gaskets from Summit. These have never failed to seal well for me..

Good luck
Old 08-12-2001, 03:06 AM
73 LS-4
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the replies, I've got the ARP header bolts and the headers leak off the bat so I don't think it has anything to do with the bolts backing out since they remain tight every time I checked them. Earl's just came out with a new line of heder gaskets with some sort of embossed seal on them, may try going with a set of those, Summit lists two different part numbers for the big chevy's with these with a 20 dollar difference between the two but no explanation as to what the difference is, so I sent them an e-mail asking for some details on the difference.

Pat Kunz
Old 08-12-2001, 03:22 AM
Bob Jenkins
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another helpful hint is to tighten all the header bolts after replacing the gaskets. Run the engine for about 15-20 minutes, then retighten the header bolts. Do this a few times and this should help. I make it a practice to check my header bolts every other week or so. :chevy
Old 08-15-2001, 09:47 AM
StingrayRacing
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Header leaks!!! help me make it stop (Bob Jenkins)

The shop that installed my Super Comps cut the header flange on both side of the center cylinders...I guess this lets the flange expand and not bulge vreating a leak....its working so far :D
Old 08-15-2001, 09:58 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

73LS-4,
You might consider cutting your flanges,they can warp badly and this can help (it worked for me) just one cut (with a hacksaw or sawzall) between cylinders. Once they are cut each you will see how warped the flanges are because they will "spring" apart BUT you will be able to get the bolts in.
...redvetracr

Get notified of new replies

To Header leaks!!! help me make it stop

Quick Reply: Header leaks!!! help me make it stop