C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you prep engine compartment to paint?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2001, 11:30 AM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do you prep engine compartment to paint?

I have the body off the frame and I am starting to clean up the engine compartment. What is the best way to get a smooth clean finish on the firewall, fenderwells and all. It appears the compartment has a black spay paint cover coat that is all crappy looking. Do I need to use a stripper, sand by hand, sand blast it or what. What type of paint should I use? Doe's the compartment need to be primered first? Thanks for any advise
Neil in Tenn
Old 08-12-2001, 04:43 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: How do you prep engine compartment to paint? (Nomad78SA)

Neil,
I 'd suggest degreasing with Simple Green and hot high pressure water. then remove as much of the overspray paint with a fiberglass specific paint remover. Then wash again. The NCRS guys swear by John Deere Blitz Black as a good match for the GM chassis paint that was originally on the car. I think that Krylon semi-flat black is just as close and dries a lot faster. Blitz Black is probably tougher paint.
It is your choice on how much to paint or not paint. Check with Chuck or Joe over on the Correct Restoration Forum to what was painted originally. Much of the overspray was originally there from the factory as part of the black out process.
Old 08-12-2001, 05:04 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the Simple GReen, and a pressure wash. After I cleaned it all out (and I did mine with the engine block in the car but everything else out) I then used a degreased on a rag to get the rest of the little stuff off. I followed this up with some scotchbrite (red) pads to rough up the surface.

I didn't prime (lasy?). I went right for the semi-flat black (GM Underhood paint in my case).

[Modified by 78Vette-SA, 4:06 PM 8/12/2001]
Old 08-12-2001, 08:09 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: How do you prep engine compartment to paint? (78Vette-SA)

I used SOS pads and a garden hose when I prepped my engine compartment for new paint, worked well. :yesnod:
Old 08-13-2001, 10:53 AM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

As far as paint goes I went with a black trim paint by SEM. After all the paint I've used on the Vette over the past year, this stuff is the best. Also, the spray nozzle on the can sprays the paint in a great "fan" pattern. Very professional results.
I also used tin foil to mask any areas I didnt want sprayed. Foil is a lot easier to work with than paper and tape.
Hope this helps,

:cheers:
Stew

Get notified of new replies

To How do you prep engine compartment to paint?

Quick Reply: How do you prep engine compartment to paint?