C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to install a ZZ4

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2001, 07:15 PM
fugale
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready to install a ZZ4

I am in the process of removing my L48 and install a ZZ4 in my '73. Actually I'll be doing that next weekend. There are some issues that need to be cleared up in the mean time. The first is the HEI distributor. Will I have to install other parts to make this part work? I realize that I will not be able to use my regular tach and will be more that willing to switch to a different tach. Is it just a matter of hooking up the HEI distributor to the hot and ground leads? The other issue is that the motor comes with the long water pump, this has already been taken care of. I have order the short water pump. I have the stock auto trans and I believe that the motor comes with a flexplate for the tranny. Since, I'll have almost everything out of the engine bay, I'll be replacing the leaking radiator and rusted radiator core support. I will also detail the engine compartment. I have been reading the many post for some time and have gained valueable information and helpful hints. I remember seeing some posts about the ZZ4, but was unable to locate them in the search area. I would greatly appreciate any help hints and advice. I wish to thank you in advance for your assistance.
Old 08-12-2001, 11:19 PM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Default Re: Ready to install a ZZ4 (fugale)

Good luck on your transplant. If I knew what I know now, how much I would of ended up spending on the engine I have built I would of got a crate motor too. Sounds like you will be having a blast soon.
Neil in Tenn
Old 08-13-2001, 12:13 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

I have just over 1000 miles on my ZZ4 that I installed this spring. You are going to LOVE this engine. I didn't use the HEI that came with mine because I want to keep the interior looking stock. I went with an MSD tach drive distributor, MSD 6AL ingintion box, MSD balster 2 coil (which goes in the stock location on the intake if you want it to and MSD 8.5mm plug wires. Yes the engine comes with the flex plate. I have a 4 speed but i won't bore you with the details on that. The short water pump will fit but you have to grind one of the timing chain cover bolts down a little to make it fit. Do this before you install the engine it is easier to get to. I bought Headman Heddars from Jim Pace that are mad for the ZZ4. ZZ4 heads are "D" ports so I wanted the best flow as possible. If you are using the stock manifolds you might have a little restriction. I also changed my radiator out a while back along with the support and radiator crossmember because of rust. I went with the Griffin alumimum radiator. My 71 originally came with an alumimum radiator. It is working great. I installed the engine and tranny as one.
Good luck with your swap and feel free to e-mail me with any other questions.
John :D
Old 08-13-2001, 12:38 AM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

If you want to use the HEI, you'll love it's simple installation. Nothing to it, I just installed one today. Just plug the connector from the base to the cap unit and then connect a 12 volt key on wire to the cap terminal. It should come with a pink wire with a connector on one end for the 12 volt lead. That's all you need. If you are changing to an electronic tach, there is also a connection and a splice lead for it.

Good Luck,
Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Ready to install a ZZ4

Quick Reply: Ready to install a ZZ4