C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dash speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 01:58 PM
dash8
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dash speakers

I'm getting ready to replace the dash speakers. there super junk!!anyone know how to take the dash off to getto the speakers.??? 1970 coupe
thanks in advance.
Old 08-13-2001, 02:45 PM
John's Shark
Racer

Default Re: dash speakers (dash8)

I replaced my dash speakers for the 1st time this spring in my 71. Getting the dash out is the hard part, but it can be done with a lot of patience. First, take all the dash screws out from the bottom side of the top pad. Next remove the right side pad and the windshield pillar moulding. Once the right pad is off you will see a brace mounted to the firewall and bottom of top pad. Remove the screw going into undersid eof top pad. The top pad should now be free. You will have to push up in the middle while pulling it down and to the right. This is the most difficult stage and you need to be careful. I used some heating pads to warm the dash up and make it pliable. You could do the same thing by letting the car sit out in the sun. As for speakers, you are going to have a problem fitting any decent speaker on the drivers side since the more modern/bigger speaker magnet will likely hit the top of the speedometer. I had this problem and went with OEM style speakers to avoid it. They sound like crap! I plan on fixing it by modifying the speaker bracket to allow for about 1/4' of extra clearance. Waiting for winter to work on it. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2001, 04:02 PM
greg454
Burning Brakes

Default Re: dash speakers (dash8)

I replaced mine this spring with the deluxe set sold by ecklers, they suck. The only way I have been able to get a good sounding radio is to mount good speakers in the back. The hassle of replacing those front speakers isnt worth it unless you just want to listen to talk radio.

Get notified of new replies

To dash speakers

Quick Reply: dash speakers