C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aw dudus

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 09:40 PM
nunus79
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aw dudus (timing advance)

Well I’ve managed to screw up my timing curve. I was trying to reduce the amount of mechanical advance in the distributor by having some of the advance come in before idle by stretching the spring. It worked. But now the first unforseen problem, hard cold starts (too much advance while cranking). To make it work I had to retard the timing to 12 deg from 16 deg initial. I could retard the initial some more to counter this problem but I don’t want to lose more performance. The second unforseen problem is that the curve slowed down. I don’t have that quick advance jump (2000-2200rpm) anymore. It looks like I need to buy another curve kit.

Anybody got recommendations for a decent HEI curve kit that has only 20 deg mechanical & that comes in by 2400 rpm or sooner? Anybody know of an aftermarket HEI that allows you to limit mechanical advance? TIA

[Modified by nunus79, 4:05 PM 8/13/2001]

I'm going to repost this w/ a more descriptive title "Screwed up timing curve." Please disregard this one.

[Modified by nunus79, 9:32 PM 8/13/2001]

Quick Reply: Aw dudus