C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hedman HTC headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 01:38 PM
iree75
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hedman HTC headers

I'm in the process of getting my 427 BBC project ready to fire up on my engine test stand for cam break in. It's going in my 75 to give the 100k mile old L48 a rest. As it will have side exhaust, I bought a set of Hedman HTC coated side exhaust headers from Summit. The papers that came with the headers stated "Breaking in a new engine with HTC headers will void the coating warranty. Use cast iron manifolds or other non coated headers to break in the engine first." .... or something to that effect. I'm guessing the constant 2500 or so RPM after startup will heat them up too fast? Not that it is a huge deal to find some other headers or manifolds.. Anyone have experience with Headman HTC headers?

-Frank
Old 03-15-2006, 01:45 PM
jbroughton
Racer

I have an old set of Hedman's that were really rusty when I bought the car. I sent them off and had them coated, and they looked beautiful for 2 years. Then when we rebuilt the motor, I burned up the coating during the cam break-in. The timing was off and the carburetor wasn't adjusted, and next think I knew the headers were glowing red. The coating is now very dull looking

I would take their advice and run something else on it during break-in just to be safe.

Jeff
Old 03-15-2006, 01:55 PM
iree75
Instructor

Perfect.. that's all I need to hear. Thanks,

-F
Old 03-15-2006, 06:16 PM
fauxrs2
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the other side of teh coin I have broken in two engines using my USED coated hedman headers with absolutely no change in the quaility of the finish - which while a dullish silver - hasnt rusted or changed color in all the years Ive owned them.

However when in doubt...follow the mfr's instructions every time.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:44 PM
blctalon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard issues about the new headers with coating and breaking in as well. You'd think there would be a way to order them already cured so you can slap them on right away. Maybe there's some way you can cure them yourself? I still have my exhaust manifolds but I was wanting to put the headers on right away and not jack with taking stuff off and on...if I end up getting coated ones.

I might end up buying a set of uncoated headers for breakin with my new engine then having them coated or something. This will still require taking them off and on though.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

They just don't want the headers on a new motor in case it is running lean. They will just get too hot. The reason they say during motor breakin is that is when you will likely run your motor that lean. If you run it that lean for too long you won't be worried about your header, you'll be worried about your next new motor.

I broke my 406 in with a brand new set of coated hedman elites and they are just fine. They look real nice yet.

-Justin
Old 03-17-2006, 01:47 PM
iree75
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dalannex
They just don't want the headers on a new motor in case it is running lean. They will just get too hot. The reason they say during motor breakin is that is when you will likely run your motor that lean. If you run it that lean for too long you won't be worried about your header, you'll be worried about your next new motor.

I broke my 406 in with a brand new set of coated hedman elites and they are just fine. They look real nice yet.

-Justin
That makes good sense to me. I don't think my dual 650s will run it lean, but since I will need to take them off anyway to get it in the car.. I'll just find some used BB headers to break it in on just to be safe. The bit@h of it is I tossed a perfectly good set of BB Camaro headers that came with the engine when I moved into my new house..

Get notified of new replies

To Hedman HTC headers

Quick Reply: Hedman HTC headers