C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2001, 11:13 PM
Blues77
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP!

im sure this will get booted to off topic..but if i call a lock smith i wont have $ to work on the vette!!!........... half of my key broke in the ignition and i have airbags in my 93 caprice....theres no way the other half of the key is comin out...how do i get by the airbag to the ignition?
Old 08-16-2001, 12:39 AM
lyonsh
Drifting

Default Re: HELP! (Blues77)

This isn't really going to help you in the sense you want, but be REAL careful around airbags. If you want to remove them you have to use the EXACT manufacturers procedures or they either might activate on you (seen it happen -wasn't my car, but still scared the #$%@^ out of us) or you could damage the clock-spring and the bag won't work if you need it. Touchy little buggers.

Are you SURE you can't get that key out? I broke one off in a 66 Bel Air, and we were able to spray a bunch of lock-eze (graphite lubricant) in there and coax it out with a couple of small screwdrivers. Much easier than trying to disassemble a steering column.

[Modified by lyonsh, 10:40 PM 8/15/2001]
Old 08-16-2001, 01:43 AM
Blues77
Burning Brakes

Default Re: HELP! (lyonsh)

hey man thanks for the warning, im really nervous about messin with it to. The key is really jammed in there. Im thinkin of takin a really small bit and drillin it out. thanks

Get notified of new replies

To HELP!

Quick Reply: HELP!