C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tremec TKO shifter location solution

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2001, 08:15 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tremec TKO shifter location solution

I found an easy and inexpensive source for the only real problem with installing the Tremec TKO in a C3. The topic of installing a new 5 or 6 speed overdrive manual tranny in a C3 is a popular one. Usually the choice is between either the Tremec TKO or the Richmond ROD6. While the Tremec has a 100+ higher torque rating than the ROD6, it does have the shifter loaction issue against it. Although the internal rail shifter offers better shifting than does the external linkage, it presents an install issue since it is located along the centerline of the tranny, rather than the left side.

Well, I found a CNC company here in Chicago that makes the fuel pressure regulators for GM and Ford, they also make shifters for several of the aftermarket companies like B&M, Pro 5.0, etc.

Anyway, here's their shifter for the Tremec TKO, made of billet aluminum and steel. He sold it to me for $100, complete with two shifter stems, and the billet aluminum shift ball, and the two spacers. With the two spacers and onger bolts, the shifter fits perfectly within the stock unmodified center console. The smooth shift of the TKO is unaffected.

[Modified by Monty, 6:15 PM 8/19/2001]
Old 08-19-2001, 08:33 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Tremec TKO shifter location solution (Monty)

I'm saving this post so that I'll be ready in the future when I get a TKO . Thanks for the help Monty. How's your job hunting coming along ?
Old 08-19-2001, 08:37 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could you give us some dimensions???

Very interesting, have been thinking about the same swap

ZD
Old 08-19-2001, 11:22 PM
74vetteman
Pro

When I install my 406 this winter, I will face the prospect of either rebuilding my tired Muncie yet once again, or upgrading to a newer stronger tranny. I have heard that the Richmond 5 and 6 speeds are quite strong but have shifting difficulties although I have heard that the "long" style shifter is better than the Hurst. I've read with great interest the posts that have mentioned the Tremec Tko transmission and am considering that model. Who sells these transmissions nowadays? I remember at one time there was only one dealer for the GM bolt pattern tremec (Fiske?).

What is the company that makes the shifter adaptor? Is it a stock or custom piece?

When installing the Tremec are there any cross member fabricating (say on a 74 4-speed car)? Mechanical or hydraulic throw-out? Did you take any pictures of the modifications required for the install (drive shaft length, U-joints, mounts etc.).

It sounds like a good match for my 3:73's versus a Richmond 5-speed. Do you powershift it (probably not with your torque)? Are they as strong as people say?

I know I am asking alot of questions but it is nice to have someone elses experiences before one starts such a swap.
Old 08-20-2001, 12:19 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

OK Monty, we need details, dimensions, phone numbers, etc. I am willing to pay for the work if it is such a simple elegant solution.
Old 08-20-2001, 12:32 AM
454Can-Am
Racer

Monty, Thanx for the info about the spacer! You e-mailed me months ago about the transmission installation and I finally got the motor and TKO tranny set in the frame! I took the original transmission mount and cut it down to fit farther back- and with the standard transmission mount, fits perfect. I had a new 3-inch driveshaft made and the installation is beautiful! ONE QUESTION I DO HAVE FOR YOU NOW IS WHAT IS THE BLACK WIRE FOR THAT COMES OUT THE BACK OF THE TRANNY???????? THANX Rick
Old 08-20-2001, 10:52 AM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Tremec TKO shifter location solution

The spacer blocks are 1" thick each. It may not be clearly visible in the photo, but the mounting bolt holes in the shifter stem are offset, so that the stem tilts rearward slightly. I got all of the parts from E.M. Glabus Co. - 'Super Precision Machining Aerospace Quality' - (708) 766-3027. The company is a subcontractor for GM, Ford and some aftermarket company's. All of the parts are stuff they have in stock and make for other company's, if you get it from them, you're basically getting it wholesale. It's very high quality stuff, better than the B&M Ripper Shifter I was using previously.

74vetteman - My 82 has a removable crossmember, so the only modification I had to make was to create an extension for the tranny mount. Compared to the 700R4 that originally came in the car, the TKO's mount is about 3" forward. I just made an adapter plate out of 1/4" aluminum plate. Although I could've used the original driveshaft, with adapter ujoints, I had an aluminum one made with larger, heavy duty ujoints.

454Canam - that black wire is for a Ford neutral safety switch. You can either incorporate it, or you can remove it and install a pipe plug.

Get notified of new replies

To Tremec TKO shifter location solution

Quick Reply: Tremec TKO shifter location solution