C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help identifying this wire!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2001, 03:16 AM
luvmy73
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help identifying this wire!

First of all I have a 1973 coupe and this is my problem. There is an orange colored wire which I must have pulled loose underneath my drivers side dash. It is orange with a flat metal pronge at the end, and has a blue protector around the base of the pronge. It also runs out of that really thick bunch of wires that is wrapped in eletrical tape and travels over the speedo and tach. It also has power running to it. Any idea on what or where is goes will be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Michael.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2001, 03:30 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Need help identifying this wire! (luvmy73)

Does it have 12 volt + all of the time ??

If so, it may be the lighter -- my lighter has an orange wire, but it is a 1980.
Old 08-20-2001, 04:11 AM
noxqsz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michael;

The blue protector on the metal prong at the end of the orange wire makes it sound to me as if it's a connector that was added to the factory wiring and is not part of the original wiring harness. It could also be part of the original harness that was cut and the metal prong added as part of a hookup for an aftermarket stereo system or other accessory. Trace the wire back as far as you can into the harness to see if it is part of the original harness or has been added later. It may be spliced in to a wire of a different color. To help identify this wire, it would be helpful to know wha tthe guage of the orange wire is, what accessories your car has, and whether anything in the car is electrically amiss.
Old 08-20-2001, 09:11 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Check on my Web page below, I have the wiring diagram for the 73 posted. Maybe you can id it there.

tom...

Get notified of new replies

To Need help identifying this wire!

Quick Reply: Need help identifying this wire!