C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front discs caught on fire WHY?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2001, 11:59 AM
1vette4me
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front discs caught on fire WHY?????

My car is a 74 big block, I am cruising down the highway and I realize that my car is getting hotter, then i begin to notice that awful smell of burnt brakes or clutch. I pull off and as soon I slow dow the front discs lock up! I jump out to see flames around the calipers and pull the extiguisher out and put the fire out. two hours later when the flat bed arrives it rolls just fine. What gives where do I start? Both discs glowing orange to near white. :smash:
Old 08-20-2001, 12:03 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: Front discs caught on fire WHY????? (1vette4me)

Sounds like your calipers might have been stuck on. If both of them torched then I would look at the master cylinder or metering block on the frame rail. I hope it didn't hurt anything else. Good thing you had a fire extinguisher with you....I am on the way to Pep Boys to pick one up right now.
John
Old 08-20-2001, 12:07 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Front discs caught on fire WHY????? (1vette4me)

I had the same problem this spring with one of my rear calipers that I had just replaced.

Check out your flex lines to the calipers, You might not see a problem but the inner line could be collapsed. it will allow fluid to pass when you press the pedal but doesn't allow the fluid to move back to the reservoir because the line collapses under the suction.

Hope this helps you.

Mike

P.S. Already have one after spending a weekend rewiring my best friends truck after afuel line ruptured and melted every wire in the engine compartment.

[Modified by MikeC, 10:27 AM 8/20/2001]
Old 08-20-2001, 12:23 PM
Go Ravens
Racer

Default Re: Front discs caught on fire WHY????? (MikeC)

Boy, I'm off to Pep Boys too!

Get notified of new replies

To Front discs caught on fire WHY?????

Quick Reply: Front discs caught on fire WHY?????