C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power window & gauges problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 12:00 AM
25thAnniversaryGirl
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power window & gauges problem

78 Vette is acting strange sometimes windows work just fine and gauges function properly & then at times power windows won't work, & the volt meter stops working. The gauges may start working again when I am driving. I can get the windows to go up or down if I jump the relay so.... Is it just a bad relay? Would the relay have anything to do with the gauges working properly?
Old 04-24-2006, 12:32 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

depends on where your jumping the relay, check the switch contacts on the back carefully, thats usually where the malf is, clean the contacts and make sure they are secure. The guage problem is likely an intermittent ground in the dash, back of the guage most likely
Old 04-24-2006, 12:40 AM
25thAnniversaryGirl
7th Gear

I did clean and check the contacts on the back of the switches on the center console They look like new When I jumped the power window relay I jumped on the relay left to right & I bypassed the middle prong Thanks for trying to help me I appreciate all the help I can get
Old 04-24-2006, 01:22 AM
rexx78
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a loose connection or a bad ground wire.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:44 AM
25thAnniversaryGirl
7th Gear

Default bad ground wire

where do I look for this ground wire? Thanks
Old 04-24-2006, 09:30 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

ok, so when you jump the relay are you putting a jumper across the contacts? or energizing the relay coil causing it to pick up?
If your jumping the contacts and the window works, this means that the window motor wireing is all good including the grounds for the motor itself and the problem lies in the control side of the system. If your jumping 12v to the relay coil energizing it and the window works, that means the relay AND all the motor stuff is good, again leaving only the control dide in question. jump the contacts on the switch connector, this will require 2 jumpers to make it work, see what happens. If you have an ohm meter, test the switch itself. Let us know how it goes. You can ring out the grounds with a home made test light, this is a good way to do it because it determines if a connection actually takes a load.
Good Luck Cristie

Dan

Get notified of new replies

To Power window & gauges problem

Quick Reply: Power window & gauges problem