C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve adjustment SBC

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 02:54 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Valve adjustment SBC

OK, this is a serious dumb assed question, since I am grasping straws here, on my '72 with '89 roller engine in it for some time now...
iron heads, forged pistons, around 9.5 comp ratio and DPFI, TPI style with ZZ9 cam.....

so the question is as I recall, I adjusted the valves with cold engine, and so everything has been fine for some time now, EXCEPT when in hot weather the engine warms up totally, NOW on these 80f+ days it's running fine TEMP wise, but runs like crap....I have been all through this damn dawg, and am thinking computer screw ups...but....the thought hit me, when engine is cold and/or in cold weather for Florida that is....40-60f outdoors, car runs fine.....70f++ it has more misses than a HS Prom....so....

I have been adjusting hydraulic valves for decades untill snug...is there a possiblility the engine heating up causes a valve to stay open causing a misfire?? can this happen?? I adjust untill snug on the pushrods, and no further....

any clues ??anyone/??

GENE
Old 04-26-2006, 03:01 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Usually when the engine heats up the clearance gets bigger. I adjsuted my solids cold and checked them when hot and there was a .006 larger difference. I doubt it would be hanging the valve open.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:10 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't thin that the outside temp is going to screw with your valve adjustment to any degree down here, the outside temp swing is only about 30 degrees but the engine temp swing is more like 140. There is some sort of temp sensing for the engine feeding the computer, possibly an outside temp sensor and maybe even ambient air pressure sensor. Thats the place to look, it sounds like the fuel mix is not being compensated correctly for temp. Are there any error codes? What kind of computer? You need to run thru all the sensors on the engine and verify they are working.
Good Luck, let us know
Old 04-27-2006, 08:04 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

The computer is a speed denisity 1227730, the sensors have been gone all over completely, there is no code set, but that off idle tip in goes so damn lean on that o2 sensor, i'ts a joke, the idle is ragged as hell.....but it runs fine when cold, but when gets hot enough to go closed loop, it starts running like crap....

GENE
Old 04-27-2006, 08:23 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

how about the different changes in fuel formulation/additives for the temperature changes???? maybe thats screwing with how its running
Old 04-27-2006, 08:43 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
how about the different changes in fuel formulation/additives for the temperature changes???? maybe thats screwing with how its running
I have been all through gasolines down here with this car, but this is the first season I have actually related it down to the outdoor temp changes, this has been going on for years now, to varrying degrees, and now it's really really bad.....not just annoying, it's gross....car is driveable, but engine shakes so badly with such a raggedy miss it makes me wonder about valves/adjustment/??

GENE
Old 04-27-2006, 08:56 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

you know the engine is in a nice little box created by the fenders hood,etc.......it also creates its own heat......i wonder really how much difference the out side temperature makes on the internal parts? maybe what 20-30* max? and if its only that much of a difference how much is the metal expanding for the temperature change?

Get notified of new replies

To Valve adjustment SBC

Quick Reply: Valve adjustment SBC