C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uh-oh...I think I am getting coolant into my combustion chambers...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2001, 10:38 PM
Doug Brandon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Uh-oh...I think I am getting coolant into my combustion chambers...

Since switching out my intake (from Torker II to RPM Air Gap), I have had a very rough running engine. I have tried a different coil, fresh plugs, bypassed the MSD, removed the Pertronix Ignitor with no improvement. Last night I swapped in a different distributor, no change. I have had to add a little water to the overflow tank twice.
The plugs in cylinders 2 and 8 are very clean, they have a light silver gray look to them. The plugs from 4 and 6 are black (after less than 40 minutes of running). I cannot smell any gasoline in the expansion tank. There is nothing in the oil. I am running out of ideas causing the problem. BTW, when the MSD is hooked up the car runs but has no power and a noticable miss. When I bypass the MSD, the car can barely back out of my garage. What would the plugs look like if water is getting into the combustion chamber?
Old 08-23-2001, 02:51 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 565 Likes on 350 Posts

Default Re: Uh-oh...I think I am getting coolant into my combustion chambers... (Doug Brandon)

Your plugs would be clean as a pin. One of the old "Indian Tricks" for cleaning carbon from an engine was to pour water down the carburetor while the engine was running. Sounds like your intake installation is leaking...you might be sucking oil from the galley if the gasket isn't sealing. Could also have a vacuum leak causing the engine to run rich. If the only item you've changed was the intake, I would look there first. Hope this helps. Chuck
Old 08-23-2001, 03:59 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Uh-oh...I think I am getting coolant into my combustion chambers... (Chuck Gongloff)

Anti-freeze in the combustion chamber usually leads to A LOT of white smoke.

I agree with the other post, you are probably sucking oil around the intake gaskets.

Good luck.
Old 08-23-2001, 11:47 PM
Doug Brandon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Uh-oh...I think I am getting coolant into my combustion chambers... (BSeery)

Thanks for the feedback. Those two plugs looked cleaner than when I put them in. In my haste to get the intake on, I did not follow the Edelbrock instructions-ie sealing both sides on the intake gasket with high temp sealant, etc...The motor is smoking a lot too. I will be pulling the intake tomorrow night.

Get notified of new replies

To Uh-oh...I think I am getting coolant into my combustion chambers...

Quick Reply: Uh-oh...I think I am getting coolant into my combustion chambers...