C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steer me the Right Way

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2001, 03:53 PM
Biker
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Steer me the Right Way

Ever since the control valve, slave cylinder, power steering pump and hoses were replaced on my '81, the car has unusual steering. It works fine when going straight. However, when I go around curves, particularly at highway speeds, the steering feels somewhat erratic and vague. Even with a firm grip on the wheel, the car doesn't hold curves very well. I centered the new power steering control valve and the wheels were recently aligned, but the problem still exists. My car has only 34k original miles, good ball joints and has never been in an accident. Any ideas what might be wrong?
Old 08-24-2001, 04:13 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Steer me the Right Way (Biker)

Have you checked tire inflation pressures. I take it that you haven't purchased new tires since your cornering problem surfaced. You had both the front and rear aligned by a good shop. Have you checked your linkage and idler arm for excess play? Is your flexible coupling in good shape? Have you checked your steering gear for axial play in the input shaft bearing and for play between the pitman shaft and sector?

If you are pretty sure that all of the above are correct, I would next look at the control valve. There seems to be a rash of poorly manufactured (or remanufactured) valves that are being sold. I would send the control valve back to your supplier and request a new one. If that doesn't work, I might suggest sending it to Vette Brakes and Products Inc as a core and purchase one of their valves with a heavier spring.
Old 08-24-2001, 04:34 PM
Biker
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Steer me the Right Way (Jim Shea)

Jim--thanks for the great tips. Most of the above items have been checked with the exception of the flexible coupling and the steering gear axial play. I'll check them out this weekend. All of steering components you mentioned worked fine before the control valve, slave cylinder and power steering pump were replaced. I replaced these components because the car was stored six years and the rubber was dry rot.

As you suggest, I might have a problem with the (rebuilt) control valve I purchased from Muskegon Brake. I forgot to mentioned the control valve makes a slight whirring noise whenever the steering wheel is turned. Does this further implicate the control valve?

Will you please provide contact info for Vette Brakes & Products, Inc.?

-geoff
Old 08-24-2001, 04:54 PM
rdrman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you say vague it reminds me how shakey my 74 felt on highway curves.The bushings for the swaybars were cracked really bad lots of free play,you could move the bar by hand1/4 - 3/8 either way.Replaced with poly bushings then discovered that the front bar was reversed,thus bending the end links20-30 degrees.The front tab on the bars has to be perpendicular to the end links.Easy to check :seeya
Old 08-24-2001, 05:45 PM
Biker
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Steer me the Right Way (rdrman)

Rdrman--I'll take a look at my sway bar bushings, too. Don't sway bars help minimize body roll and lean? Could you please explain how they might improve steering.
Old 08-24-2001, 06:26 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Go to Terry Rudy's websight; http://www.bokonon.net/corvettefaq/. Look under Suspension and Steering. You will find the following papers:

Improve Strg Effort and Feel (this also has Vette Brakes phone number)

Strg Gear Adjust (In Vehicle) also Strg Gear Adjust Pics 1 & 2

JIML82@aol.com

Get notified of new replies

To Steer me the Right Way

Quick Reply: Steer me the Right Way