C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between solid lifter cam and hydraulic.

Old 05-19-2006, 02:44 PM
mpett1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between solid lifter cam and hydraulic.

What is the difference between a solid lifter cam and a hydraulic cam and the term flat tappet..
Old 05-19-2006, 02:55 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

While there are some difference in the actual camshaft lobes, the real difference is in the lifters. A hydraulic lifter has a hydraulic piston mechanism that compensates for changes in the length of the pushrod as the engine expands and contracts with heat, and for wear in the valvetrain. A solid lifter does not do this. This is why you have to adjust solid lifter valvetrains more often, because the parts wear. Flat tappet refers to a solid lifter without a roller. In reality, the lifter is not flat. It has a curved surface that rides on the camshaft lobe. This is done to reduce the contact pressure between the lifter and the cam. A roller lifter actually has a wheel on the end of the lifter to reduce friction and allow for more aggressive cam profiles.

A camshaft designed for a hydraulic cam will have a different profile than a solid cam. The big difference is at the very beginning of the ramp and end of the ramps. Other than that, the profiles should be the same.

I hope this helps. There are a lot of details involved in the valvetrain, and it would take pages to describe them all.

Ken
Old 05-19-2006, 02:58 PM
LittleJake
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap
click click click click click click click click click click click click click

lol sorry I couldnt resist.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:24 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by LittleJake
tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap
click click click click click click click click click click click click click
Old 05-19-2006, 05:43 PM
VetteLS6
Racer

solids shouldn't be making a huge Tap Tap or click click sound...If adjusted correctly they are quiet.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:54 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

A lifter is a tappet is a lifter etc etc.
Solid lifters are either flat or roller; valve train lash (aka slack) must be adjusted.
Hydraulic lifters are either flat or roller; automatically takes up lash (aka slack) in valve train.

As said, flat tappet's face has a slight crown (dome) and flat tappet cam lobe has a slight angle to match lifter's crown; available solid or hydraulic.

Roller tappets have a rolling wheel than rides on cam lobe having NO angle; available solid or hydraulic. Most overhead valve GM production motors since about MY1987 have hydraulic roller tappets & cams.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:43 AM
jerrylee
Pro

Is there a major performance diff. between the solid n hydraulic......The reason I ask is that I read a thread were guys were knocking the H-flat tappet which is what I was advised 2 use in my 454 rebuild........I hope I didn't make a mistake..Thanx...Jerrylee///
Old 05-20-2006, 09:29 AM
SmokinBBC
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrylee
Is there a major performance diff. between the solid n hydraulic......The reason I ask is that I read a thread were guys were knocking the H-flat tappet which is what I was advised 2 use in my 454 rebuild........I hope I didn't make a mistake..Thanx...Jerrylee///

Depends on what you are going to use the car for...solid lifters allow for higher revs. Hydraulic lifters can only rev so high before valve float.

If it is a street car, then hydraulic is the way to go....set the lash once and you are done...solids will have to be adjusted.

The 1970 454/390 came with hydraulic....never have to mess with em.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:22 PM
jerrylee
Pro

Originally Posted by SmokinBBC
Depends on what you are going to use the car for...solid lifters allow for higher revs. Hydraulic lifters can only rev so high before valve float.

If it is a street car, then hydraulic is the way to go....set the lash once and you are done...solids will have to be adjusted.

Thanx...my 77' 454 is a street machine..i'm using cc-xe268h.....hopefully she'll b on the road in a couple of weeks......
Old 05-20-2006, 01:39 PM
24695bob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteLS6
solids shouldn't be making a huge Tap Tap or click click sound...If adjusted correctly they are quiet.
depends on how you defne quiet... My 64 has solid lifters and I have been adjusting them for 25 years myself...

No way can that engine at idel be confused with a car with hydralixc lifters...

Noise is NOT HUGE...but baby its there...and I love it almost as much as I like the sound of a gear drive...

Bob G.
64 72 76 79 & 98 Corvettes
Old 05-20-2006, 02:10 PM
Voetsek
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SmokinBBC

But hydraulics are still good till 6500.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:01 PM
VetteLS6
Racer

Yes they do make some noise but not much....The one thing that Solids do is make better Hgs at idle....they seem to have better throttle response...IMHO
You can use oil restrictors with solids, Im not sure if it's a good idea with Hydraulics,
Any thoughts on this?

Get notified of new replies

To Difference between solid lifter cam and hydraulic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Difference between solid lifter cam and hydraulic.